From:
"Shelley R. Abare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:11:46 -0600
Ok, I was not thinking properly when I took my very ill ferret with me to
work two weeks ago.  I'll admit it, I was thinking of the ferret, and not
the food or water I had brought with me (in baby food jars) for the sick
ferret.  So when she passed on, I forgot the food altogether.  (here's
the funny part).  Do you know what happens to a loosely sealed jar of
duck soup left in a closed up Jeep for 2 weeks?  Well I do!  LOL.  I kept
smelling this awful smell, and it got worse and worse.  I looked under
the seats, I took the back seat out entirely.  I vacuumed the carpet and
took the soft top down to air it out.  Nope, still there, and getting
worse as the weather got warmer.  Finally, yesterday afternoon, I dropped
a piece of paper on the passenger side floor.  As I bent to pick it up,
from the drivers seat, I noticed the odor was very intense.  Somehow,
that tiny jar of duck soup had managed to wedge itself into the crevice
between the passenger seat and the center console.  On top of that, the
lid had somehow managed to work off!  P-U!  LOL.  I guess that was
Bubbles last goodbye to her mom.  She was always such a little prankster.
I bet she had a really good laugh, watching from the bridge.

On another subject, does anyone else's ferret(s) do this.  Kiki seems
to think that anything I hand him is a treat.  And Brownie thinks that
whatever I give Kiki must be better than what I'm offering him.

Here's the scene; 3:30 a.m. and mom's getting ready for work.  I run in,
in stocking feet, and fill the food and water dishes.  I now have 4 wide
awake ferrets climbing my legs begging for treats.  So I grab a handful
of kibble and offer it to all four.  Kiki opens his mouth as wide as he
can and grabs as much as he can cram in there.  Then he hauls tail off to
hide it.  He drops the kibble in his chosen spot and comes back to do it
again.  In the meantime, Brownie is eating Kiki's "hidden" kibble.  Kiki
will continue to do this as long as I am willing to stand there holding
it in my hand.  He does not do this with the food in the dish, just what
I am offering.  Killy will eat a bite or two from my hand, and Milly
insisted that a lady only eats off the floor, never from a dirty old
hand.  (she even takes the food from the dish and puts it on the floor
before she eats it).  But this thing with Kiki and Brownie is just plain
weird.  Brownie will look in my hand, sniff the kibble, look at Kiki
dashing off to hide his treat, and go steal Kiki's food, rather than eat
the exact same kibble out of my hand.  Oh, if Kiki is sleeping, Brownie
is perfectly willing to eat the kibble I am offering him.  Sibling rivaly
maybe?

Shelley and the curiously strong, slightly spice foursome.  (lemme lone,
I'm tired)