From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 01:32:38 -0800
To Mike J:

>Dr. Williams, I have nothing but the utmost respect for all you've done for
>our beloved ferrets, and for the work you continue to do every day.  I know
>that sacrifice is necessary some times, nevertheless, I was somewhat taken
>aback to hear that a dozen of these ferrets had to die for this study.  We
>bring ECE ferrets back to health every day; was there no chance of recovery
>and adoption out to those that could take in ECE active ferrets?>

You are talking about a study done in 1994, when we didn't know anything
about ECE, other than it was extremely contagious.  WE didn't understand how
it was transmitted, or what it did to the body.  ECE wasn't widespread - it
was affecting about eight or so shelters on the East coast.  The object was
to study how the virus was shed, the effects it had on the body, and isolate
the virus if possible.

>I don't fully understand what has been realized by this study.  From all I
>read about ECE, we still only know that it's highly contagious and
>supportive care is about all one can do.  We knew that three or four years
>ago.  If there's more, I'd love to know about it because we still have to
>deal with ECE outbreaks in our shelter every year.

A lot of the knowledge which you speak of was gained during this study.
The study is still the only definitive hard scientific work done with this
virus, and the results have been publicized at numerous meetings for vets
and the public as well.

Could we have dealt with the sweeping infection of ECE that shortly took off
across the United States without the sacrifice of twelve animals - honestly,
no.  You don't deal with a large health threat like ECE with anecdotal
stories or theories about what may be going on.  I have as many ethical
issues about animal research as everyone else on the FML, for I know that
every animal's life is as precious to them as mine is to me, and yours is to
you.  But I felt that the issue was too important to go forward without any
definitive data, and that I could minimize the loss of life by doing the
initial work myself.  It has been my only experience conducting live animal
research, and if I had to make the choice again, I would make it again.

My biggest regret was that we were unable to isolate the virus - when the
virus is finally isolated, then definitive diagnostic tests can be made, and
a vaccine is possible.  However, there was no interest in the pharmaceutical
community to fund this research - the only vaccine compnay that showed any
interest backed out shortly after undergoing a reorganization.

Best regards,

Bruce Williams, DVM