From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:57:09 -0400
Support Our Shelters was just asked (off the list) how we choose what
shelters to help. I thought it would be a good time to repeat this
information on the FML for everyone.

Any of the seven of us in S.O.S. -- Judith White, Ela Heyn McAdams,
Sharon Bearden, Joanne Werstlein, Kat Parsons, Robin Jones and Risa
DiVincenzo -- may suggest shelters, bring up posts from the FML, and
express opinions which we usually act on. The Board of Directors
usually makes the decisions (it's faster that way). The B.O.D. is
made up of two of the founding members -- Judith and Ela -- plus
Sharon, who maintains the shelter list and lots more.

S.O.S. chooses which shelters to help in three ways. If a shelter asks
us for help or someone suggests we help a shelter, we discuss it and
decide what we are able do at that time. If we hear of a rescue, we do
the same. If we have money sitting around in the General Fund for a
little while, we look for shelters with large vet bills and/or large
numbers of ferrets. Sometimes we directly put out a call to the
shelters on our list asking who needs help at the moment.

The way we help is to make payments to vets and buy food and supplies.
We keep funds in reserve for ADV tests and melatonin implants, which we
can get at a good price for the shelters. We also help with vaccines.
The SOS-FML Shelter list is on our website (see my signature below).

It never hurts to ask for help. If you know a shelter on our list with
a need, please tell us. If you know a shelter who is not on our list,
please suggest that they ask to be added. Contact Sharon at:

We thank all of you who help us help the ferrets!

Judith, Sharon, Ela, Joanne, Kat, Robin and Risa

~~~~~ Support Our Shelters ~~~~~
                 100 Walsh Road
            Lansdowne, PA 19050
                   610-626-6647

Helping the Shelters of the Ferret Mailing List
          www.SupportOurShelters.org

Ask me how you can help a shelter near you.

Tax-Deductible Donations through PayPal to:
   501(c)3 non-profit  Tax ID: 23-3062176