From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:30:09 -0700
>From:    Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Tommy's (Timmy's) tonic info
>helping my ferret beat a "terminal lymphoma" diagnosis.

Incorrect diagnosis happen all the time.  We would opt for the more likely
explanation that the original vet (yes we know who - she gets mentioned in
the FML and comments that would lead you to understand WHY there might be
a bad diagnosis) made an error.  Was the diagnosis based on just a blood
test?

>completely stopped insulinoma symptomatic space out sessions.

Sugar problems are at the root of insulinoma.  Timmy's tonic appears to be
a flavored sugar water.  Interesting concept.  But its anecdotal at best.
We have extremely low rates of any cancers here.  No insulinomas ever.  A
fwe tumors over the years - none malignant.  No Lympho.  No adrenals save
one and some that seem to have arrived with it.  We don't use any herbal
remedies at all on the ferrets.  Seems we have as much positive medical
anecdotal evidence for Totally Ferret and Iam's as you have for Timmy's
tonic.

>From:    Caroline Jones aka CJ <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: tsk tsk Mr. Killian, you hurt my feelers..........

Didn't know you had antennae... <g> But lighten up.  Really.  Folks
disagreeing with you isn't a flamefest or anything you should take
personally.

And it is pretty annoying to have on of us bashed and the other ignored.
This is the two of us together on this.

>but the poster asked a simple question

And got a simple answer...

>got an opnion and a slam on shelter operators

We didn't slam shelter operators.  Don't forget we run a shelter.

Shelters were only mentioned by us since they were mentioned in the
question.  The question was asked because some shelters were begging to
have it sent to them.  If people want to donate to a shelter, we strongly
feel there are better things they could give than herbal flavored sugar
water.

>Let me start by saying thanks to the poster after this one to answer the
>Q without any personal opnion, just an plain old answer to a plain ole
>question.

It is impossible to answer the question originally asked...

  >>Ok what is it and what is it for?

without giving an opinion.  It is a herbal extract answers the first part
sure but to answer the second part you HAVE to give an opinion.  Agreeing
with your view doesn't make it any less an opinion.

It is not a tested medicine by ay stretch of the imagination.  If you say
it is for the things claimed by Gary H you are ascribing creedance to his
beliefs that seem more religious in nature than scientific.

We can not in all honesty give creedance to his beliefs so our answer has
to be that it is for no purpose at all.  It is treated as medicine so for
us to be honest and actually try to do right by ferrets that deserve better
veterinary care we have to point out that it is not medicine or thus quack
medicine.

>Mr. Killian, I feel you made a judgement about shelter operators that was
>unfair

YO!  We are shelter operators.  Both of us.  You can NOT fairly say we
slammed shelter operators.  We did not.  We said that running shelter
doesn't make you an expert on medicine.  You yourself said the same
thing...

>I do run a shelter, I don't claim to be an expert on [...] medicine

We will admit that in a way we did call into question some things about
what Gary H is doing.  We think that he is hawking snake oil.  We feel
that people will try his products at the expense of proper veterinary
treatment.  That can be seen as bad for ferrets.  This is unfortunate.

[bill: A mild rant not directed specifically to a post.]
Personally I'm sorry to see what has become of 'organic or health type
food stores in the past twenty years.  Good solid foods have been replaced
by these herbal fake medicines.  Too much echinea and imitation meat
products and not nearly enough whole grains and things like bulgar wheat.
Really distressing.  Those grains are probably healthier for you than what
has replaced them.  Bummer.

b&d
--
bill and diane killian