From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:49:44 -0800
Hi everyone,
I've been reading the "biting ferret" discussion, and I want to add a
question of my own: what do you if the biter in question has possibly been
abused?  I'm not positive, but I have a suspicion that my Pukkaluna may
have not been treated so well in her old home.  She's very fond of
chomping hands and wrists (I look like I've been attacked with a staple
remover!) as well as noses when she can reach them.  But when I scruff
her, sometimes her tail puffs up and she gets scared.  She also has this
reaction if you go to grab her too fast-- she'll snap at your fingers,
puff up, and start shaking.  I guess my question is how do I discipline
her without making her think I'm trying to hurt her?  She gets lots of
treats and cuddles when she doesn't bite, but I just wish I could tell her
no one's going to hurt her here!  Pukka is also usually the instigator in
her fights with Lola, which I've posted about before, but that's another
issue.  Thanks in advance!

Rachel, Lola, Sebastian, and Pukka

=====
"Go ahead, call the cops
You don't meet nice girls in coffee shops"

                      -- Tom Waits