From:
steve austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 02:34:11 -0500
>Subject: MF "guarantee"

over the way the pet stores, or large breeders conduct business.  I would
like them to take a step back and look at things objectively.  A business
is out to make money, marketing is a large part of that.  MF is no
exception, is it really startling that their huge farms, are the same as
any others?  Little human contact,wired, small compatments, etc.  No shock
there!  I am not defending any business, but I go in open eyed.  MF can't
possibly know what food the ferret is fed, what will they do anyway, what
proof?  It is a joke.  The guarantee makes the buyer feel secured, feel
they are getting a good product.  At the same time sells their food, what a
great idea!  It is the same as the 1 year warantee on my VCR- when does it
"break down"- at 13 months of course!

The guarantee reads something about a guarantee against any genetic
problems that show up in the first year, when fed MF food exclusively for
that period of time.  How many genetic problems that aren't obvious at
birth, will show up at 1 year??  How many ferret get sick before one year??
I am sure very few.  My dog was guaranteed health from genetic problems for
6 months.  Congenital hip dysplasia rarely shows up that early, the other
problems like tumors, dispostion problems, eye problems are likely to show
up much later.

So, MF is like any other business, very good at marketing and as usual
"Buyer Beware"

BTW- most "guarantees" from breeders are usually upheld by a replacement
animal, most laws consider animals property, so the "defective property" is
replaced.  I doubt any medical bills will be paid, and the poor owner will
most likely say- forget it!, and just pay the vet bills to help their loved
one.

Patty