From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 14:42:24 -0400
>IBD as a diagnosis in ferrets seems to be a fad.

Not so much a "fad" as a possible cache-pot, some with causes unknown.
It appears in a number of cases to be secondary to the damage and
long-term inflammation of ECE, for instance (just as IBD can precede
lympho in some).  Internationally respected veterinary pathologist, Bruce
Williams, had an article on this in "Ferrets" which is now available or
soon will be available at
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html or
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth or both.

>ECE is not IBD.  ECE is a disease caused by a corona virus if I >recall
correctly.

Correct on both counts.  There are a wide number of causes of intestinal
problems and the causes can be hard to narrow down, as can effective
treatment for some.

Oh, I do NOT know any time frame for a successful ECE vaccine to be
released.  Sorry if that was not clear enough for anyone.  I know that is
the goal which is being carefully worked toward.  Some people got excited
and missed part of the sentence yesterday, "There is on-going work to
eventually have a vaccine against the ECE coronavirus."
-----

Looking forward to our copy of "Modern Ferret"!  I can't imagine how hard
it is to produce a magazine during severe illness.  Know how hard it was
to keep our family retail business afloat during my mother's cancer and
how we came close to bankruptcy, but then we had several healthy family
members to call upon for labor help at home or store.  It's the sort of
situation no one can imagine without being there, so I am very impressed.
-----

Lisette wrote:
>I think gossiping is really destructive.

Truer words were never spoken.  Through the years too much avoidable
damage and friction has been caused by things like rumor-mongering, and
people taking sides on things without having the full info from each.
The worst part is that such damage is avoidable.

Sukie
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ferrethealth (the current home of
the Ferret Health List with it's conversations, ever growing
extensive Files, and other helpful features)
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/ (the easily searched site which holds
the Ferret Health List Archives)
http://geocities.com/sukieslist (a site given to me which I simply have
not had time to learn to update so some of the links are no longer active
and the FHL link is the old defunct one so instead use the one right
under my name)