Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 11:58:19 -0700
Several months ago, I put my name on a waiting list for an apartment
for August. I wasn't sure about the building, but it's hard to find
pet-friendly apartments in my city. On the building's website, it
stated: "small pets allowed (up to 25lbs)". So I filled in the
application and declared the nature of my pet.

The other day I got a phone call in which I was informed they had some
vacancies coming up in August, but they were sorry, but ferrets aren't
allowed in their apartments. I was seriously unimpressed. It was a good
thing I had already decided I didn't really like the building, but
still it was annoying.

I sent an email to the company's website contact line and told them to
revise their information on their web page to list the specific "small
pets" that they allow, mentioning the fact that my pets weigh less than
five pounds and are not allowed despite their blanket statement to the
contrary.

It's just ridiculous. I bet these people know nothing about ferrets and
as a result they either believe bad publicity or choose to not find
anything out and just say, nope, not allowed. And, because there are
very few rentals available, they can be as picky as they want about
whom they rent to.

So, now I have to do more research and see if I can find any affordable
apartments in the neighborhood I want to move to that do allow ferrets.
And I continue to silently thank my current landlord who didn't know
anything about ferrets but rented to me anyway. If only he owned a
building in the neighborhood I want to move to!

Inez