From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 01:14:44 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=2095

[Sukie note: The first was my cautionary response to someone whose ferret
reacted to pine shavings and who was now trying pine pellets with success
the first day(s).  BTW, always avoid cedar because of the dangerous
compounds that out-gas from it.]

>Some ferrets are just allergic to pine in all the litter forms.  We've
>never encountered that ourselves and we do use pine pellets, but since
>this little one has reacted to one form it is possible that other forms
>also will at some point cause problems.  You might be safer with
>newspaper based pellets like Yesterday's News.  Just a thought to
>consider since we've heard of some individuals (including a ferret of
>one of the vets here) who react badly.

That would be my boy Frost, and he reacted to Feline Pine, so severely
that I came close to losing him within two to three minutes of placing
the Feline Pine in his litter box.  I stick with Yesterday's News, and
have never had or heard of a problem with allergic reactions to it.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.