From:
Leigh Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:16:17 EST
I have a question for any on the list who might be vets, researchers, or
anyone else knowledgeable in the area of bacterial diseases that affect
ferrets and other companion animals...

At my current job we are using a technique of DNA analysis in which we
amplify a portion of the 16s gene of bacteria present in a sample using
PCR.  Because of the highly conserved nature of the 16s gene the primers
we use, theoretically, will amplify all eubacterial 16s genes present in a
sample (we also have primers which target bifidobacteria, archaebacteria,
bacteriodes, and fungi 16s genes).  We then run these amplified products
out on a gel which separates the amplified products based on their
denaturing properties (which is determined by the DNA sequence of the
product).  This produces a pattern of migration in which DNA of the same
sequence migrates to a particular denaturing point.  Pictures can be taken
of the gel to produce a record and additionally these bands can be excised
from the gel, reamplified, and subjected to sequencing.  The sequence of
the bands can then be put through a database search of all known 16s
sequences and this allows us to determine usually to what group or subgroup
the bacteria is in.

We routinely do this type analysis on soil and water samples, but we have
also done a few analyses on fecal samples of humans and intestinal mucosa
samples (post mortem, of course, of other animals).  The results from
these biological samples were beautiful and I was wondering if this type
of analysis would be of any use in the veterinary field?  I don't know how
important it is for a vet to know what bacteria is causing problems....
This method is, however, ideal for determining the presence of bacteria
that are difficult to culture.

So to summarize: We could take a fecal sample and identify the major
components of the bacterial population present.

If anyone thinks that this would be something useful please let me know.  I
am toying with the idea of trying to write a grant that will allow us to
explore this possibility.  If anyone would like more information or some
pictures of what the gel profiles look like, please let me know.

Thanks,
Leigh