Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:07:24 -0500
We have been asked to post a final response regarding Lisette's
accusations.  It is our intention that this be our final post on this
subject so we can move on to our number one priority... the homeless
ferrets.

The GCFA sincerely apologizes to everyone on the FML for this controversy
and any trouble or problems it has caused to anyone.

The GCFA did not commit fraud or steal any money from anyone as stated in
the allegations on the FML from Lisette.  There was never any intent of
wrongdoing.  The GCFA does have the capacity to defend ourselves against
these accusations.  The hopes and dreams of one man during casual
conversations to replace only a few very, very old cages just never
became reality.  After more than a year of not ordering the cages, the
few people that we are aware of who donated for the cages were told that
the money would be returned.  During the month of September, the GCFA
asked the few people who donated for the cages, this included Lisette, if
they were able to wait until after the ferret show in October to receive
the funds.  They readily agreed.  Please note that the discussion to
return the money was more than two months ago, not recently.  The money
was returned.  Unfortunately, it did take a little more than a month
after the ferret show to get this taken care of.  So far the only person
to request their money be returned is Lisette.  The GCFA has returned her
donation.  Another person stated that she did not want the money back,
because she knows all the money goes towards the care of ferrets and
keeping the ferret shelter operating.  The GCFA did return her money
also, because any and all money that was donated for the cages was to
be returned, as was discussed back in September.  This person has since
generously donated the money back to the GCFA.

The GCFA was at fault for procrastination and not being as organized as
we would all wish to be.  The GCFA has always put the care of the ferrets
first and everything else gets put on a back burner.  We are truly sorry,
but the ferrets deserve and need all the time we can give to them.  The
GCFA will create a better system of recording paperwork and will work
to do things in a more timely fashion.  All the people at the GCFA are
volunteers.  They give any spare time to help take care of the ferrets
and the mounds and mounds of paperwork that goes along with maintaining
the only ferret shelter in the Chicago metropolitan area.

Lisette's comments regarding the ferret show are missing very important
details.  The vendor tables were placed along one main traffic aisle that
was in a "U" shaped configuration.  Vendors were either along a wall or
in the middle of the "U" shape.  This is how the traffic flowed in the
show hall.  Since she was one of the first vendors to arrive, we asked
Lisette if she would rather be against the wall or move anywhere else.
Lisette did not request to move her table; she wanted to stay where she
was.  One of the board members helped Lisette unload her truck and bring
her boxes to the table using two of the GCFA's larger carts.  As she was
unpacking, Lisette asked if she could purchase another table to
accommodate her items.  This was also done for her.

All of this controversy is only hurting the ferrets.  The ferrets that
are at the GCFA shelter now and all the ferrets the GCFA will take in the
future are going to be the innocent victims of what has transpired.  All
shelters exist because of kind-hearted people, donations and volunteers.
Everyone who is directly involved with a shelter knows all the hours,
paperwork, expenses and most of all the heartbreak and tears involved in
keeping a shelter operating.  There never seems to be enough hours during
a day for everything to get done.  The GCFA has and will continue to work
with other shelters to help lessen the number of ferrets in our care, so
we can create more time to be spent on all the paper work it takes to
operate the GCFA.  For everyone who voiced their opinions without seeing
what the shelter is all about, come to the shelter.  For those of you
that are passing judgment without seeing or knowing the whole story,
PLEASE come to the GCFA shelter to volunteer or just to visit.  It is
amazing what goes on daily to create a warm, safe, happy place for the
ferrets to stay until the GCFA finds them permanent homes.

[Moderator's note: Lisette sent a few more posts to the FML about the
situation which I haven't posted since I've decided the topic has seen
enough on the FML.  I'm sure Lisette will gladly send those posts to
anyone who is interested in following up with her directly.  I hope the
GCFA can get back to spending their limited time caring for the ferrets
and that everyone somehow has benefited from the incident.  BIG]