From:
pat andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:09:59 -0400
Hi all!

I've been meaning to write for the last week and tell you about the two
foster kids that came to live with me last week...and, despite the fact I'm
in a slow patch at work I haven't sat down and written.  Well, the news is
still the same a week late, so what the heck, here goes!

I spoke to CS who runs a satellite of the PRFA Greensburg branch here in
Pittsburgh.  She told me that the numbers were high at the Greensburg
shelter and that she was going out that night to pick up some ferrets.  In
a moment of weakness I said "Ask C&T to send me a pair..."

A couple of days later I was checking out 4 pairs of ferrets--but finding
myself nudged toward two six year olds.  The male (Sonny) is a Marshall
Farms albino who was suffering from depression at the shelter.  Terribly
skinny, but with a lush coat, he looked out at me w/ half-opened eyes and
my heart said I could make a difference in this boy's life.  He seems bent
on going his own way and seems distrusting of women.

The female (Sadie) is a vivacious and beautiful little silver mitt named
Sadie.  She loves to follow me around and get under foot.  To the point
that when my electricity went off during a storm I slid to the floor and
went about my apartment on hands and knees.

I put them in my art studio to serve their quarantine... Well, that didn't
go to well because my persistent and anti other ferret female, Shiloh,
battered away at the barrier until she succeeded in finding a way to them.
So much for quarantine.  Screaming and poop flying ensued from her battle
with Sonny...who hid himself under his afghan and looked out at her.
Another day Sadie pushed the barrier down and found out that Ozzie's
sociability scored low.

I've managed to stop the battles with the help of a litter scoop thrust in
front of agressor which put a stop the ranting and raving long enough for
me to grab one or the other w/o getting bitten.  Sonny has discovered if
he hides under a chest of drawers that even Shiloh is loath to pursue him
there.

Obviously I'm going to need a separate play period for these two.
becausethe plexiglas barrier just isn't cutting it.  I will either have to
close the door to the studio (which means one group won't be supervised) or
just allow one group at a time play...which will shorten everyone's play
periods.

I have to do something because I don't want to stress Sonny any more than
he was at the shelter.  I am feeding him duck soup that is gradually being
taken over by BC gravy.  I'm switching him over from Meow Mix to my mix of
Totally Ferret, Innova Cat, ProPlan, Path Valley Ferret Food, and Iams
Kitten by replacing the amount I've put in his bowl w/ the same amount of
the high quality mix.  Hopefully over the space of a month he'll be eating
a little better.  He already seems to have gained some weight...hooray!

And, poor Tess has taken to grumbling as Sadie will stand on her hind legs
and nip at her toes while she lays on the couch beside me.  When Sadie
started jumping up onto the couch Tess just wanted out of there!  All the
other ferrets play chase games w/ Tess, so I'm bit disappointed that Sadie
won't ask to play in a way more acceptable to Tess.

I don't know how long I'll have the fosters, but in time I'm sure we'll
work it out to everyone's satisfaction (or die trying ;-).

Pat
Tess (get her off of me, now!)
Shiloh (it's my house, get them out of here!)
Amadeus (gee, I don't know, she's kinda cute...and he's pretty inoffensive,
         too)
Ozzie (I'm on Shiloh side on this one...)
Sonny (all I want to do is mind my own business, honest!)
Sadie (play w/ me, play w/ me!)