From:
Vicki Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2012 01:11:05 -0500
[Moderator's note: I seldom post things like this. This one does seem
to be legitimate and the FML is under 500 lines or so today. BIG]

[Forwarded, multi-sourced, permission]
My fellow rescue friend,

I just spotted this on my local news website (CT) and had to send it
out. I have ZERO contacts is VA, but I am hoping some of you do, so
please, send this out in hopes that some local people can help Karren
find Tia! This story breaks my heart!! The bottom of the article states
that Karren can apply for a new service dog, but we all know these kids
become part of us and it just would not be the same. PLEASE help!

"Veteran Karren Coober is searching for her lost service dog, Tia.
(Source: WTVR/CNN)

PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY, VA (WTVR/CNN) - A war veteran who suffers from
post-traumatic stress disorder is on a desperate mission to find her
missing service dog.

Karren Coober, a desert storm veteran, has been in the woods everyday
this week looking for her lost dog, Tia. Coober says she cannot live
without Tia and is desperate to find her.

"Since she's gone I haven't been anywhere, she was my lifeline to the
outside world," Coober said.

Tia's name has echoed through acres and miles of dense forest since New
Year's Eve, when she went missing in Prince Edward County, VA. Since
Coober is on 100 percent disability after suffering a brain injury in
desert storm, Tia was trained to support Coober when the panic attacks
strike, or when worse medical conditions arise.

"She alerts me prior to having a seizure and alerts me to take my
medicine," Coober said. "She's everything to me." Coober has handed out
flyers and posted them on store fronts with hopes that someone in the
town can bring Tia home.

If Tia is not found, Coober can apply for a new dog with the
government. Here is the link to a photo and video:
<http://www.wfsb.com/story/16450565/veteran-searches-for-missing-service-dog>

Sorry I have no idea how to contact Karren, but I assume this might be
the animal control in charge: ( I will try to call them monday morning
to find out and update from there)

Prince Edward Animal Control
* (434) 223-7310