From:
Shadra -ev <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:44:03 -0500
Please everyone, give your loved ones and fuzzies extra hugs and kisses
tonight and remember how blessed we are to have them as part of our family.
As I write this, tears are streaming down my face for the 4th consecutive
hour as I try to figure out how to tell my daughter that my namesake..and
her favorite ferret..is now at the Rainbow Bridge.

Shadra was my latest rescue.  The guard at our complex called me one
evening to ask if one of our ferrets escaped.  I did a quick nose count and
knew it wasn't one of ours, but when he told me he had it at the guard gate
for 2 days and couldn't get it to eat, I knew I had to see what I could do.
When I got there, I found the cutest, sweetest, calmest female blaze.  She
was very young, very dehydrated, very hungry, but very affectionate.
Within seconds of picking her up, I was being covered with kisses.  After
talking to the guard, I found out he'd been offering her oranges and bread
to eat.  She was also covered with fleas.  I told him I would keep her
until the owners could be located (quietly cursing the fact that although
the guards had found her 2 days before, no one had come forward about a
missing pet), gave him my work numbers, and took her home to a nice warm
bath and flea treatment.  That night, she ate and slept in my arms...she
even slept on my pillow, getting up a few times to go eat - the sweetheart
even brought me back some food and laid it on my chest for me :-)  A week
later, we found out that the sweetie had been abandoned by a family that had
been evicted; of course by this time, I couldn't bear to depart with her.

Within four days, she'd made a full recovery and was quickly beating up on
the "big guys"....they all loved her, even the couple of fuzzies that get
along with no one.  She was fiesty, but always affectionate and a big
kisser.  Although I love all my babies, she was probably one of the most
special to all of us.

We've assisted two of our four legged children on because of severe
illnesses, but we have never lost a pet due to an accident.  With Kizra and
Slinky, there was time to say good bye.  With Shadra this evening, however,
it was too quick, and I can only pray that it was painless.  I am thankful
that my daughter Ashley was not at home this evening, for if she had been,
she would have witnessed first hand what I myself still see flashing thru
my head.  Our tragedy happened as my husband was coming out of the kitchen
and in an effort to avoid one of our war dancers, trippped and accidently
landed where Shadra decided to teleport to.  I had just 2 seconds earlier
seen her on the other side of the room climbing thru half packed moving
boxes, rearranging the books for us.  I heard my husband scream in horror
and looked to see him stooped over Shadra and in shock, apologizing
profusely -- he loved Shadra with all his heart and still feels horrible
about it.  We rushed to get her to the vet, but she was gone before we
could get out of the door.  All the ferrets and cats seemed to understand
what happened and immediately calmed down.  Her cage mates even went to
their cage without being called..they just knew.

We've both spent most of the evening crying our hearts out, but now it's
time for me to pick up my daughter, and be brave for her.  Skeeter, please
make sure my Shadra is introduced to everyone up there...it was way too
early for her.

We love you Shadra and will miss you!!

Momma, Daddy, Ashley (the humans)
Pinky, Brownie, Blackie, Cinnamon, Snow, Shadow, Anonymous, Houdini,
Flicker, Liquor, Gremlin, Gizmo, Bristles, Kricket, Blazer, Eeek!, and
Monster  (the ferts) and  cats Smudges, Sylvester, and Raven, the wanna-be
ferret

Mary Reeves
Want to know all about my "business?"
Check out my ferret page!