From:
KiSta Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:19:02 -0400
Hi FML'ers,

I wanted to let everyone know that the 29 ferrets that we received from
the SPCA are all doing very well.  Dirk & Ernie have been neutered, and
Luna has had her spay & descenting sutures removed.  They all have an
appointment on Thursday for their rabies vaccinations, and as soon as the
shipment from Jeffers arrives, we'll finish the Distemper vaccinations
here.

I want to thank EVERYONE who called, emailed, sent us supplies and gift
certificates and donations to our vet.  We honestly could not have done
this without all the support, kind words and friendship.  I cannot thank
you all enough.

The ferrets will be released from quarantine this Friday....so if anyone is
interested in adopting any of them, please let me know!  There is an online
adoption application on our website at www.kistaferret.com as well as
photos of all 70 of the ferrets here.

On a totally unrelated note: Show Sleuth had this to say...."Would any of
you feel differently if we were talking about a ferret Education day at a
pet store?  I'm curious to know, seriously.  If someone with tattoos or
eyebrow piercings or whatever was hosting a ferret Education day, do you
think that would be a wrong presentation of "ferrets"?  Maybe that's the
difference... at ferret shows, we're all the same kind of people, casual, a
little different, generally accepting of others.  But if we were at a booth
at a pet store, should we look more "upstanding?"  I know that's off the
show topic, but I am honestly interested in the opinions of others on
this".

For those of you who know me, you know I have several tattoos.  I do host
a monthly "ferret education" day at the Lakewood, NJ Petsmart.  I do not
think that my outside appearance has an effect on the fact that I'm there
to teach others about ferrets.  Its not a tattoo convention, its a ferret
outing.  I've met people from all social circles there, and been able to
work with all of them.  I've never had anyone say..."gee those are nice
ferrets, but with that tattoo, im afraid I can't take you seriously".
Maybe they've thought it, but I would hope that once they began speaking
with me, that my attitude/actions/knowledge would have changed that.
Honestly, the ferrets are much more entertaining than a tattoo; my tattoos
can go unnoticed in the wake of several ferrets playing.  I think that the
way a person, tattooed or not, presents and carry's themself has a lot more
to do with upholding a certain standard, than looks alone.  Yes, I realize
that some folks have a "stereotype" idea of the tattooed person, but I try
very hard everyday to change those peoples minds.

Sorry to rant! :)  Thanks again!!

Kim

Please help us help the ferrets by visiting Igive at
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=4030&mid=7501   We receive $2.00 for
every new person who signs on, and its totally free to help us.  Thank you
from the ferrets.