From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:23:39 -0800
>Date:    Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:20:55 -0500
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Norman's dental & Bloodwork
>
>Normie's dental went fine yesterday and he is home now relaxing with the
>... I was told that Normie was given ketamine to calm him down before he
>was put under with isofluorine.  I was a bit surprised that they used
>ketamine on Normie.  If anyone has any thoughts about using ketamine on
>ferrets let me know.  Is it really necessary to use ketamine and is it
>safe?  I was unaware that they were going to give him that and was a bit
>concerned.

Hi Melanie.  You've probahly received tons of replies by now.  I advocate
the use of isoflourane only, which my vet uses for procedures as simple as
taking blood, instead of stressing the fuzzy.  I've heard that argument that
giving isoflourane stresses the fuzzy, so that ketamine should be given
prior to the isoflourane, and I can only say that I've talked with numerous
EXPERIENCED fuzzy vets and they use isoflourane only as anesthetic, and say
they don't have a problem masking the fuzzy down with iso.  I know of one
experienced fuzzy vet that still uses a ketamine/valium cocktail prior to
isoflourane... when I asked about it the vet's response was, "If it's not
broken, why fix it?" That answer wasn't good enough for me.

Regarding safety, I've heard that isoflourane is easier on internal organs,
though can't remember which ones - kidney, liver?  Isofourane, being a gas,
also allows for monitoring of dosage while it is being administered, versus
and injectable anesthesia or preanesthesia - once it's in, it's in.  Fuzzies
also wake up alot faster if iso.  only is used.  Sorry I couldn't have been
more specific - can't remember all the details, but know I checked into it
and decided I only wanted my fuzzies anesthetized using iso.

>Secondly, Normie had some bloodwork done before his dentistry and his
>glucose level was low (56).  My other ferret, Gizzy, had some bloodwork
>done last spring and his glucose level was also low (66).  The vet wasn't
>concerned about it because apparently when they send the blood away all

I believe a short fast is required to get an accurate glucose level reading.
It doesn't seem like the "stress of taking blood" should affect the glucose
level, though.  Can anyone elaborate on blood tests and glucose levels?

If anyone can fill in the blanks here, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,  Lynn Mc.