From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 02:56:12 -0500
Dear Holly,

you wrote:
>It is still very controversial as to what actually causes adrenal gland
>disease in ferrets

Yes indeed the jury is still out on this one.  I know of later altered
ferrets who have also developed adrenal problems at age 4-6 years, HOWEVER
I have known NO ferrets who have had adrenal problems at age 6 mos to 3
years who were not early altered.  And indeed there are other factors to
consider- stress levels are one of the highest.  Artificial light more so
I believe because it causes a change in the animals physical cycles- (
naturally the animal would be exposed to natural light cycles) .  These
changes over time can effect the physical health in many ways - these
cyclical stressors though benign to us humans weigh far more impact on
the ferrets being.

Please keep in mind the MAIN functions of adrenal glands is to
A regulate adrenaline for fight and flight,
B regulate blood sugars & salt levels.

Constant stress means the gland works overtime.... working hard for long
periods of time may most likely cause insufficiencies!

you wrote:
>Now I have also read that angora ferrets have a lower incidence of tumors
>compared to other ferrets.

Do not believe everything you read.  Take the weekly rage sheets at the
grocery checkouts for instance- (no martian babies have been found in US
as of late) Just because an advertisement reads so -- does not mean it is
the truth.  Afterall they are trying to convince you to buy and expensive
imported ferret who has been neutered for sale at 6 weeks of age just like
the US pet shop ferrets!  You are quoting an advertisement from a pet
store above not a scientific study report!  .  In fact many, many of the
angora ferrets who first arrived 4-5 years ago neutered at 6 weeks of age
have and do have adrenal tumors... I have seen a number of them.  just my
2 cents!

Alicia