From:
Diane Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 16:47:23 -0400
I just wanted to add a final note that it was the Columbus, Ohio area where
the kid starved the ferret, not Pennsylvania, as I had originally thought.
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.  I do agree it's the parents
who should be the criminals in the eyes of the law.  But, I don't think
this kid was very young; she was old enough to know better, and arrogant
enough not to care.  This wasn't a case of forgetting to feed the ferret.
It was a case of wanting the ferret to die so it would "go away".  Even
a slap on the wrist or awakening her conscience to realize what she did
would be better than nothing.

Anyway, the real point is that I got some really good ideas from some of
you for spreading the word to the media about what happened.  In addition
to the ASPCA and Humane Society and a few ferret shelters, I contacted
about four different newspapers about the incident and have emails out to
several other sources.  If reading this in the newspaper stops even ONE
ferret from suffering the same fate, I will feel that something has been
accomplished.  Raising public awareness through the written word really
does have an impact, although you will undoubtedly get those critics that
we all dread, you know what I mean.  I doubt anyone on this list fits
into that category, Thank God.

At this stage of the game, what's really important is to EDUCATE so that
this doesn't happen again.  I know many ferret clubs hold education
seminars and the one I belong to has gone to schools, petstores, fairs and
even a library on a few occasions to teach children the responsibilities of
pet ownership.  Even the town dog/cat shelter has a chart that is given
to people with kids to keep track of feeding/watering/walking the dog,
etc.  and every good deed is checked off.  The parents oversee it and
double-check and if a step is missed, they are there as backup.

The last thing I would like to mention is that many people aren't even
aware of the ferret clubs and shelters in their areas.  I can't tell you
how many times people tell me that they didn't know there was one around
here, and these are people who owned ferrets for several years and lived in
very densely populated areas.  Maybe more ferret clubs and shelters should
advertise or leave bulletins in petstores (with owner's permission of
course), feed stores, public libraries, veterinarians' offices and even the
community newspapers.  Many newspapers will allow a non-profit organization
to advertise for free or a very small fee.  If getting the word out that
you exist saves even ONE ferret from being abandoned, it will be well worth
it.  I read the post today from the person who found a ferret in the woods,
starving, and rescued and rehabilitated him.  God Bless you for being there
and that is one lucky ferret for finding you!

I just want to wish you human and fuzzy mamas a Happy Belated Mother's Day.
Kiss your fuzzies for me, and those of you with human kids, give them an
extra big kiss from me.  They are tomorrow's world, and with you for
parents setting an example, they will surely grow up to be caring animal
lovers and decent human beings!  God Bless!