From:
Dookie's House Ferret Rescue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:15:06 -0400
Foamy Fries are a superb product and several of my fuzzies absolutely love
them.  One of my ferrets recently had an encounter with the packaging that
could have ended in disaster.

I left an opened package of Foamy Fries on my desk and went away for
several hours.  The package had four fries remaining in it.  When I
returned several hours later, I noticed my young Cinnamon boy sleeping in
one of the cages.  Unusual for him, but I thought, " great, the little guy
thinks the cage is a good place to snooze".  A moment later I noticed him
moving his head back and forth very strangely, Then I saw that he had a
plastic bag of Foamy Fries over his head all the way down to and over his
shoulders.  Being the climbing, in-to-everything boy that he is, he must
have stuck his head into the bag to investigate and got stuck.  Then his
body heat softened the fries and the bag of fries became welded to the fur
on his chin, neck and chest.  He had been trying for hours to get the bag
off of his head.

I immediately retrieved him and tried to pull the bag off his head.  It was
hopelessly stuck.  I used scissors to first cut the end off the bag for him
to breath, then down the side to remove the bag.  I had to peel the fries
from his neck and chest as they were melted into his fur.  A bit later, I
bathed him to get the remaining fry residue and pieces out of his fur.
This easily dissolved in the warm water and washed right out.

This could have ended in a terrible tragedy.  Somehow the little guy was
able to get enough air to survive.  All I can figure is that the plastic
was thick enough that it didn't collapse around his face.  Also the four
fries stuck out past his head and kept the bag from collapsing in on his
face.  However, the bag of fries very tightly surrounded his head.  He
must've been able to breathe air in past his ears and the fur of his head.

I am watching him closely to look for any signs of injury but he appears
to be his usual, rambunctious self.

Let me be clear in saying that the Foamy Fries and packaging are not at
fault here.  I should've know better than to leave such a trap available
to this active, inquisitive little cinnamon boy.  I just didn't think about
the potential hazard, even though I am usually very thoughtful about ferret
proofing.  Besides foamy fries being a very enjoyable toy-treat, I think
they satisfy that dangerous desire many fuzzies have to chew on rubber and
foam.  I highly recommend them to everyone.

Best Wishes,

Patrick Elmore
Dookie's House Ferret Rescue & Shelter
http://www.dookieshouse.org