From:
"Mason T. Weinrich" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 10:13:59 -0500
Thanks again to all who have been so helpful regarding my poor Slinky.  As a
reminder, Slinky was not eating, had been operated on for exploratory
surgery (which found nothing), was very lethargic, and had the runs for
about 10 days.  First - a big thanks to Bill Williamson for having me call
Dr. Michael Dutton in Ware, NH - he was very helpful.

Slinky seems to be going up and down.  We have been making a mixture of his
Iams kitten food, warm water, nutrical, and a little Ferretone.  He likes
this a lot, and will lick some from my finger - several times we have had to
give hims some from a syringe to make sure he gets enough.  He has also been
getting amoxycillan 2x a day, and maximum strength Pepto Bismol (which he
hates) 3x a day.

His stools have generally cleared up a lot (until this AM - when it was back
to liquid).  He has eaten solid food on his own several times, but I am not
convinced he is getting enough to keep himself going - hence the continued
feedings.

Two questions, though - since the surgery, whenever he chews, he makes a
sound sort of like sandpaper.  I am not sure if it is grinding teeth (which
I know is a sign of ulcers) or something with his tongue and palate.  he
just sounds very dry (yes, he has been drinking lots of water).  What is
this, and should I be worried?  Also - when Slink has been up, his back legs
seem pretty wobbly.  I know ferrets can sometimes have problems with nerve
damage back there.  Since we are only 4 days post-surgery, will this likely
clear up, or might it become permanent?

Slink is still pretty lethargic - play periods are short - but he seems to
be doing better than the misery of last week.  Thanks again to all my
friends out there.

Best - Mason