From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 12:32:00 -0800
Three years ago, I brought Felix to a New Years party, and met a fellow who
couldn't take care of his fert anymore due to his roommate's 8-year-old
being an animal abuser; in California, he was worried about legal problems
if the fert "counterattacked", on top of the ordinary worries in such a
situation.

The next day, I took Felix over to his place to meet "Mikey", and they hit
it right off from the first second.  We discussed money; I was somewhat
broke at the time, but we set on $40 as fair - but it was *not* the prime
consideration for either of us, and I've never regretted that money spent.
Mikey is doing fine; Felix passed during cancer surgery six months ago but
little Hairy Crumb lifted Mikey out of his depression a few weeks later.

As long as the animal's welfare is the prime consideration, an exchange of
cash to offset prior expenses is normal and acceptable for either private
parties or shelters - IMHO.