From:
Leslie Cucino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:25:15 -0500
Hello all,

After meeting with Whiteys doctor whose conclusion is that this is DIM
but he's in no pain, and locating a DIM survivor, we've decided to hold
onto Whitey, providing he's not suffering.  I asked his vet 'what would
you do if he were your pet'?  and she said she'd have a hard time giving
up, especially when there's a spark of life.  This morning we thought it
was the end, he was lethargic and non responsive, but when I walked in
his eyes opened and he ate for me.  That was enough, he came home.

His WBC are down, his baby red blood cells are up, it's NOT non
regenerative anemia.  His lymph nodes are NOT affected, he has no rash
or lesions.  I'm listing his meds below as well as what home therapy
we're going for.  If anyone can suggest more, please do!

Pepcid slurry: .35cc 1X a day-(that's .35cc of a 10mg tablet suspended in
   10cc of water)
Sucralfate: 1.25cc 4X a day
Flagyl: .28cc 2X a day
Baytril: .28cc 2X a day
LRS: (Ringers) 15cc Sub Q 3X a day

The hospital didn't have any Pet Tinic, but the mom of the DIM survivor
gave me a web address and I've ordered it.  In the interim I've put 5ccs
of Ferretvite in four ounces of Pedialyte that I hope he'll sip from.

The vet wants me to feed him 15cc of Hills AD 6X a day.  I have to say
I've read the ingredients and I'm not too impressed.  The Marshalls
kibble, or Nutro Max Cat canned kitten food has more crude protein and
fat than Hills and just slightly less Taurine.  Although Hills does have
added vitamins and minerals-I'm hoping we can make that up with vitamin
supplements.  Previously, (when we were just dealing with the ECE) I was
boiling or baking chicken, liquifing it in the blender with water, then
adding pulverized Marshalls kibble.  Wouldn't that be just as good if not
better?

His iron stores are depleted, so is there a Vitamin B complex supplement
out there??

I've been told to use water therapy (supporting him in a sink of tepid
water) to keep his hind end muscles from freezing up.  He's always loved
the water so thats a no brainer.  Both the vet & DIM survivors mom said
to keep him warm, is there such a thing as a temperature controlled
heating pad?

Can anyone suggest anything else??

Leslie & Whitey....

and ferts Shelby, Sadie, Sparky, Nibbles; Smokey the cat, Mickey & Buddy
the Wanna be Labradors