Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 06:19:03 -0400
When it comes to being bit on the nose, that's usually my fault because
I know when that happens here, me and the ferret both got too excited :)
Every nose bite has always been a "hyper accident" LOL...

But as for regular bites and bites that are just too hard, and the
'gnawing' by my big, strong guys, I let them know it's not all right by
just scruffing and saying "no" and "careful" strongly. Number one, they
don't like it that I'm loud. I say it slow to be annoying, LOL...and I
keep them scruffed until they get tired of it and try to get away. That
way, I'm annoying them, and they either play more gently, or they go to
play with another ferret as hard as they want. I find that the amount
of time you scruff and "inconvenience" them really does matter...if you
scruff for a short time, it really doesn't send a message other than
playing, for my boys. Other ferrets could be different.

I also 2 psychological biters that were abused, one retailiates with
any form of scruffing done to him, and if he ever accidently gets hurt
while playing (say he jumps up and I'm playing with a toy and my hand
accidently pokes him), he also attacks the hand severely. He was beaten
while little. And the other acts as if scruffing is simply the time she
needs to plan her next attack. She was handled with gloves from a young
age for two years, I believe. But they are exceptions.