From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 01:38:55 -0800
Well, it happened. And it went very well!

I posted back in November about Delta's web page stating that they didn't
allow ferrets, and calling Delta and not being able to get my twosome on a
plane.  I posted again just before Christmas when a fellow ferret lover and
travel agent had contacted Delta Skylinks and gotten confirmation about the
mistake and they were going to fix it, because Delta did indeed allow
ferrets.  Soon after I booked a flight from Raleigh, NC where I live to
Seattle where my family is for me and my two ferrets to fly on Delta.

We made the trip on Monday, and what an interesting experience it was!  I'm
going to make a long story short, but I have to say right up front that all
the people at Delta were VERY nice.  The only problem I had was when I went
to go through the metal detector at Raleigh/Durham airport and got
literally screamed at to get my "rats" away because they weren't allowed on
planes or in the airport.  The lady at the detector tried to tell me they
were rodents, and no airline would let me take them, I would have to get my
ticket agent to walk me through.  I had all of my documentation and health
certificates and rabies tags in the bag that had just gone through the xray
machine, and they wouldn't even let me have it to show them.  Thankfully a
security person heard the commotion and came over and straightened the lady
out, and told her to let me through right away.  I had to take the ferrets
out of the carrier, which I had left empty of blankets or anything for just
this problem, and walk through the metal detector holding them so they
could xray the carrier.

My first leg of the flight was a commuter to Cincinatti, where the high
winds had taken the airport down to one runway.  The one and a half hour
flight turned into three because of delay time.  I missed my connection to
Seattle because of that, the next flight not until nine at night, five
hours away.  I did my best not to panic, but I didn't want the poor
ferrets, who were being very good, to have to stay in the little carrier
for that long.  I asked if there was a pet area in the airport or a child
care area or some place safe where I could possibly let them out for just a
little while, and was told that the airport didn't have any place like
that.  I did have their leashes with me though, and with Delta's permission
they both got walks on the deserted carpet area back in the corner of the
gate I was waiting at.  The ticket agents oohed and ahhed over my sweeties,
who then both had a snack, some water and a nap.  The flight to Seattle
didn't leave until ten thirty that night, but on the plane we had a row of
three seats to ourselves and it was quiet, so the nearly five hour flight
wasn't so bad.  The flight attendants came by and asked if they needed
anything, like water or treats and one of the flight attendants got to hold
a sleeping ferret for the first time.  She was in awe of how sweet, and
quiet and well behaved they were.  (yes I was very careful, I didn't let
them out on the plane, but for the couple of minutes, and the ferret was
sleeping at the time)

We're all settled in here, my mom bought one of those cages I saw someone
mention on the list, with the many many adjustable levels with plastic
tunnels going from one floor to the next.  It's a REALLY great cage, I'm
going to think about getting one for home.  I had mentioned too that I was
curious about the well water, I used bottled water on the trip.  I was so
exhausted when we finally got here after about fourteen hours, that I
didn't even think and filled up the water bottle with the tap water.  They
are both drinking lots of water, and no one is having any problems.  I was
sure that after the long ordeal in the carrier and being on the plane and
in the airport that there would be diarrhea at least for a day, but
everything has been perfectly normal.  I ferret proofed my room within an
inch of my life, and everyone in my family has now lost their hearts to
their little guests, especially my mom who talks baby talk to them and
gives them lots of kisses.

I learned a lot on this first flight trip, how to feed and water ferts on
a plane and most importantly, how to watch for and plan potty times and how
to clean up messes in flight.  (hint..lots of kleenex and a zip lock bag)
The ferrets made lots of heads turn on the trip, and every face (except at
the metal detector) had a huge smile.  Lots of people asked if they were
good pets, and got to see it first hand by their quiet and docile
behaviour.  Some nice children got to see and pet their first ferret, as
did one very wide eyed flight attendant.

Sorry this was so long, but I thought it would be good to share what could
have been an ugly experience as turning out well.

Robynn
and her traveling gruesome twosome,
Gargoyle and Morticia