From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:08:00 -0500
So, this isn't quite how I expected to spend my night.

Our ferrets took up residence in a big couch in the living room - don't
worry, it's a big, safe, open box in the bottom where they hide.  Well,
this has been going on for some time, so the couch has gotten a little
bit musty.  Tonight I decided to tip it up and let the bottom air out a
little bit.  I went to ripping off what was left of the bottom liner so
that it would be easier to clean and easier to get to the ferts.

I discovered that the arms of the couch were separate boxes, tacked on to
the main body of the couch, but being hidden where no one sees the raw
wood, there were holes between them.

You may have guessed already....

Yep, the perfect ferret latrine.

It seems one of our boys, probably the younger, didn't want to go far for
between-nap potty breaks.  I think this also explains why the older ferret
now sleeps elsewhere, even though he originally made this nest!  Anyway,
when I took the couch apart (it's ruined anyway, might as well), I found a
huge pile of smelly, moldy poop and wood soaked through with pee.  What a
mess!  It's quite a bit MORE than just musty.  The couch is now outside,
drying and airing out.  I think it's a loss anyway.  I didn't discipline
the boys - they wouldn't understand what they did wrong.

So I guess it's futons for us now!

<sigh> Sharing your home with ferrets can be a trial sometimes.  It's a
good thing they're so lovable.

Roger, Digger and Bear (The Poop-Meisters)

P.S.  Feel free to laugh - I'll laugh with you in a couple of days.