From:
Kim Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:37:05 -0700
Funny that Bob C should be the one to talk about ferrets who don't do well
in the presence of others of their furry kind.  I used to read his tales of
how his pack reestablished its pecking order from time to time and the best
thing was to let them just work it out.  The advice seemed sound.  Most of
my five were adopted from situations where they were only ferrets, and most
of them did work it out within a month or so of arrival.  (In fact, they now
prefer to sleep tightly packed in a cardboard box that's just barely big
enough and has only one small hole in the top for egress.  When I come home,
four sleepy noses pop out of the hole, each jostling for enough space to
allow eyes to clear the hatchway for a look around.)

The fifth ferret, McKenzie, is just plain scared of the rest, and this is
after almost a year of no changes in the family.  I can, and have, caged
them all together, but McKenzie always tries to find a small, cave-like
sleeping spot with only one entrance, and she screams whenever anyone gets
too close.  Minor tussles occur, but no skin has ever been broken -- it just
sounds awful.

I'm writing to say that I've switched to thinking there are some ferrets who
deserve their own space, like McKenzie and Poncho, and we should honor that.
Still, it seems like a lonely existence, doesn't it?  And who wants to
manage multiple play groups or a partitioned household?  So, I'm also
writing to tell you our current solution, which everyone seems to like.

My ferts are caged when I'm not here, free when I'm home (including all
night long).  I have two cages, one for McKenzie and one for everyone else.
When I come home, I let the pack out first.  After they've run off their
initial burst of energy, or when McKenzie specifically asks, I open her
cage, usually 1/2 hour later.  After that point, I can generally let them
all go about their business without incident.  The fact that McKenzie
doesn't have to deal with the rest when they're rowdy helps alot to calm her
fears.  Also, she can always retreat to *her* cage as a sanctuary, and the
rest seem to respect that.  They line up at the door and peer in at her, but
they don't go in (unless she's not home).  I like this solution so much that
I figured I'd write about it in case it gives anyone else some ideas.  Once,
recently, I opened a dresser drawer to find a pile of sleeping ferrets
(normal), with McKenzie snoozing away on the top of the heap (very
definitely not normal!).

Been lurking a while due to who was paying for my internet access, and also
due to post-Kodo traumatic stress syndrome.  For me, one of the best things
about the FML has been cool ideas others post.  Last year, a little after
Easter, Bob C posted a bunch of ideas for great cheap ferret toys.  Hey Bob,
I've been waiting a whole year for those giant plastic eggs to be on sale
again!  If you, dear reader, were perhaps considering fanning the FML flames
on the MF debate, or the early alter debate, or the wood shavings debate, or
the best food debate, pray tell us instead about the most successful toy
you've ever made for your ferrets using only cardboard and tape.  Pax.

-- Kim @ Weasel HQ