Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:04:11 EDT
Hi everyone!

I'd like to know what dook spray is too! My mom got her new ferret
named Teddy. He is the most adorable little guy. I can handle him very
well and he knows not to bite me. When he does, I scruff then drag. My
Mom on the other hand isn't having an easy time. I go over her house
for training sessions with Teddy. He bit my moms toe and drew blood, he
lunged at her yesterday morning acting angry, and drew blood on her
fingers 3 times. She is now afraid to hold him. I told her just grab
him and support his body in somewhat of a baby cradle and hold him
close to her body. She is afraid of how hard he is biting her. He was
just taken away from his litter mates 2 days ago and I told her that
he's stressed, probably upset because he doesn't have anyone to keep
him company, we took him away from his other home, and he knew the
breeder very well and he is just getting to know us. Would any of you
possibly give my mom any advice that I haven't given her? She went this
morning to buy bitter apple, (before I had the chance to tell her it
can cause diarreah) and it didn't work on him. He still bit her and
went after her legs, feet, arms, face etc. When he comes close to her
hands she always takes them away really fast. I told her not to do this
because then Teddy has her trained. She's got to show dominace over
him. She wants to wear gloves now with him. I personally, am having
success with the scruff and drag. I showed her, but she says it's too
hard and she's afraid he's going to bite her in the process. Jerking
your hand is only going to make him want it more. I took off my shoes
and had my socks on. I put my feet right up to him when he was playing
on the floor to see if he'd bite my feet. He did, so I scruffed then
dragged him. It worked very well because he didn't go after my feet
anymore after this.

My Mom will not feed him mice, quail, or rabbits. I can totally
understand. I personally would get ill. So what are some great
substitutes? I know chicken, chicken liver and what else? She was going
to ground up the bones because they need them. Are there any tips you
guys could give me so I can help my mom a little more? He does really
well with me, but her he's already got her trained and I feel really
bad for her. Please let me know. He is on the diet of Innova Kitten
Food, Totally Ferret, and Totally ferret kit formula. This is what the
breeder was mixing.

Today she used spic and span to clean the inside of the cage. I told
her not to use it because it might be harmful. I know she needs
something else, what do you all recommend? Thank you. Teddy is 12 weeks
old and is a beautiful dark sable Hob. He feels really bony to us. Are
all baby ferts bony? He seems very underweight. Of course though, I am
not sure. Let me know what you think. I'm sorry for the long letter.

Gina