From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:07:04 -0400
Jen
Excellent post! To me one of the most important points you make is

> *set up situations in which the ferret cannot bite you.*

I'm a coward when it comes to getting bit, and practically swoon when I
read of people who calmly deal with ferrets latched onto their appendages
while blood drips to the floor!  So my techniques involve avoiding giving
the ferret the opportunity to bite.  Biting is learned behavior; by not
having the opportunity to bite, the ferret learns it can get along without
that behavior.

The "weapons" in my arsenal are a bottle of ferretone, long-sleeved shirts
and long jeans.  Most ferrets will not bite if they are given the option of
licking from a ferretone bottle instead!  And most ferrets will not bite
through clothes (socks and gloves seem to be exceptions!)

Here are some techniques I've used to work with biters without becoming a
victim myself.  This has worked with both fear biters and young ferrets who
haven't been handled and don't know better.

To pick up a biter, offer the ferretone (linatone, ferretvite, or whatever)
bottle, and while he is distracted, pick him up with the other hand.  Place
him on your arm, head towards the elbow (you do have long sleeves on,
right?) Pet him a few times and then put him down *before* he gets antsy.
Move slowly and talk gently.  At first you might need a helper to hold the
ferretone bottle to distract the biting end while you pet the back.  Be
careful not to overdose on the ferretone; dispense a few drops at first and
then just let him lick the bottle top.  BTW, I don't put ferretone on my
hands--to me that's too much of an invitation to take a taste!

To teach a biter to play nice, sit on the floor with your vulnerable feet
tucked under you and your hands away from the ferret.  Let the ferret
loose with some toys to play with.  Eventually he will approach you to
investigate.  (You should be in a small room so he can't just go away and
hide from you.) Talk to him nicely.  If he tries to take a taste, say "No
Bite!" sternly, but do not yell or scream.  Don't offer him any flesh as
an easy target.  Eventually he will get used to approaching you without
biting.  Try petting his back as he goes past you.  He should be used to
that by now from your picking him up.  After he is used to that, try
offering him your hand to sniff.  Make a fist and offer the knuckles, that
way if he bites, there's no flesh to dig his canines into!  If he tries to
bite, say "No Bite!" and remove your hand.  Try not to move too fast or
you'll just startle him.

Once he is used to your presence and hands, toss toys for him to chase,
wave a small towel for him to grab, use a puppet that clearly does not look
like a hand, etc.  In other words, engage him in playing with YOU.  Don't
offer ferretone at this time or he may decide to clamber in your lap
looking for it, putting your face and hands in a vulnerable position.  If
he gets to excited and nippy, use the ferretone bottle to pick him up and
put him in his cage to calm down, and try again later.

Over time, which may be weeks or months, your ferret will learn that you
are a source of treats and playtime, and that biting is not necessary to
get what he wants or protect himself.  Be patient, and remember, there have
been MANY MANY stories of reformed biters on this list, and only a very few
that didn't come around with love and patience.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH