From:
"Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:01:53 -0500
I read with horror about the Pit bull jumping the fence and attacking the
ferret and owner.  The authorities would do nothing?  What about leash laws?
Has the owner taken the case to civil court?  Contacted the press?  CAlled
the State Department of Health?  Called her Senators, Assemblymen and Mayor?
She should.  (My advice- get a baseball bat- the aluminum kind, and let that
dog come around again.  It will be the last time.  If it were me, the least
I would do is break off every tooth in it's mouth.  OK- I'm sure I'll be
flamed for cruelty to animals, but guess what?  A toothless dog is better
than a mauled baby.) What if the dog attacks a child?  An elderly person?
Any dog that jumps a fence to attack is a danger.  Period.  Even if it was
to attack a ferret this time- what about next time?  The really sad thing is
that if it had attacked a smaller dog, I'm sure the authorities would have
done something.  Dogs that stand by the fence and bark are protecting thier
territory- or just saying hi.  But dogs that jump fences to attack are a
tragedy in the wings.  The owner should either put up a higher fence or
chain the dog.  Period.  The sad thing is that in 99% of cases concerning
vicious dogs, it is the owner that has created the problem due to aggressive
training and handling, or poor care.  Ugghhh.  This whole situation has
tragedy written all over it.

-Mrs. Duck