From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 09:38:00 EST
Urban, you posted some proposed ferret regulations.  I don't know if you
were seeking comments, but I have some.  I also don't know who generated the
regs., nor am I that familiar with Swedish norms in ferret care.  Given
that, here are my thoughts.  Since these are regulations, that implies
penalties for failing to comply (unlike guidelines).  So for that reason,
more care has to be put in their crafting.

For the most part they seem very reasonable and appropriate.  My concerns
are with #9.  [9   A ferret shall have a box for sleeping or living with
dry, soft and clean stuffing.  If several ferrets are kept together they
shall all have space enough in one or several boxes without competion for
the space or aggressetivity occurs.  A box for sleeping or living shall be
 made in such fashion that good hygiene can be maintained and to let the
animals take natural sleeping positions in it.]

This seems a bit restrictive, depending how box is defined.  In the US, many
people use a basket with bedding, sleep tubes, or a hammock.  At one time we
had a real sleeping box along with a pile of clothes in another part of the
cage.  The ferrets seemed to enjoy both equally and it was much easier to
keep the open bedding clean.   Now we just have the bedding piles.  I guess
we would be as much in trouble in Sweden as in MA.  My ferrets are happy
enough though.  This section might be better used to define a bedding area
and its characteristics than such a specific design.  Since cedar chips crop
up in the US (may not be a problem in Sweden) a prohibition on these a
bedding might fit.

The other area that seems should be discussed is the litter box.  Don't know
if this is in other sections, but it seems there may be ferret specific
things worth mentioning.  Size and general configuration (the cage is so
detailed), minimum frequency of cleaning, acceptable litters or other
materials, etc. are all potential subjects.

As I said above, since these are regulations, they may have penalties
involved and I'd hate to see somebody meet the spirit of good care and get
hit for not meeting the letter of the law.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \