From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 13:26:12 -0700
I had a very hard time reading today's FML because of all of the losses.
I am afraid that soon I will be posting about a loss....

I thought I should update everyone on Zorro.

He was scheduled to go in for exploratory surgery July 2 (believed it was
an enlarged spleen).  The evening of July 1 he was breathing really hard
and couldn't not stay awake and could not go to sleep.  We called the ER
Vet and explained what was happening.  He told us something's to look out
for and to keep a close eye on him.  We made up a waterbed for him and he
slept for about 2 hours.

July 2 I took him in for the exploratory surgery.  His breathing was
still really bad so they did an e-ray first.  The x-ray showed a mass
in his lungs.  They almost filled his lungs up or was pushing them up
to where he couldn't breathe.

The vet diagnosed him with lymphoma.  The vet told me my choices were to
either put him down or put him on steroids to make him comfortable.  I
started looking and asking others and I have ordered a herb (Essiac
www.newrainbowbridge.com/default.htm) that has had good results with
Lymphoma.  It should be here Friday.  The vet is also looking into Chemo,
the cost starts at $350.  However with the state that he is in, I don't
believe that it would be an option.

He is currently on prednisone and lasiks and will be starting the essiacs
on Friday when it comes in.

Last night was a very hard night.  Everything hurt him.  Laying, walking,
pooping, peeing, sleeping...everything.  He cries when he pees!  And yet,
with all of that pain he manages to find the litterbox.  At 11 pm he ate
a little bit of solid food.  At 2 am I gave him fresh home made soup.  He
had that again at 4 am and 7 am.

This morning my friend June (THANKS!) told me about a pain medication that
I could give him if the vet said it was ok.  It is called Torbutrol.  My
vet said it would be ok.  June went over to the house (Shawn is home - I
am at work) and gave him the medication.  Then while her husband Glen
held him, she fed him baby food.  Zorro is now sleeping.

I cannot stand to see him suffer.  We are going to try the medication
route and see if that helps him.  If it doesn't then we will find the
strength to help him cross over to the bridge.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and for their advice.  I
have tried to respond to everyone that has emailed...if I have missed
you I am sorry.

We haven't lost him yet and we cry as if we had.  He is our first rescue
that we have had to deal with this decision.  We am still new...and this
hurts.

He is such a doll baby.  He loves paper bags, toilet paper and paper
towels.  He would rather sleep in a nice soft sleeper than hanging from
a hammock.  He doesn't like to curl up either, he would rather be all
stretched out.  He has beautiful green eyes and you can tell he still
wants to live.

Joanne and Shawn
Ferret Corner Shelter
Spice, Pepper, Bugz, Dodge, Kuri, Chocolate, Tonka, Buster and ZORRO
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz