From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 22:40:11 -0500
The weather had turned cool at the Bridge and No. 421 and Oliver were
bringing in some wood. The stove was warm and toasty and Oliver just
wanted to curl up in a chair. The two friends had just settled down
in front of the fireplace when Bluebird came tapping on the window.

No. 421 was putting a log on the fire so he went to the door.

"Hurry in and get warm by the fire," he said. "What brings you out on
a cold night like this."

"Hi Fellas" Bluebird said. "I has a very very special request. We have
a white albino ferret crossing, and you has to go find his Momma and
Dad." And with that, she handed No. 421 a ticket from the Receiving
Angel.

No. 421 read the ticket. "Hmmm" he said. "I did not know Woolie Bear
had a son," he said. And Daddy Dante' never spoke of him. Guess we
better start out early in the morning and find out if this is indeed
his son."

Bluebird got up to go and No. 421went to the door. It was so cold; he
invited her to stay. "It is quite cold and getting dark, he said. "Why
don't you stay and leave at dawn's first light?" The fire was warm, and
No. 421 had a basket with some soft fleece in it, so Bluebird decided
she would stay. She hopped into the basket and No. 421 put it up on the
mantel where she would get all the best heat.

The next morning, Oliver and No. 421 awoke to the smell of ferretone
Tea and pancakes frying on the griddle. "Good Morning" Bluebird
chirped. "Thought I make a little breakfast. Sit down, it is almost
ready."

Oliver leaned over and whispered to No. 421, "I could get used to
this."

The three friends ate a hearty breakfast and Bluebird put the dishes in
the sink and said she just had to get back.

No. 421 sent Oliver to find Woolie Bear and Dante' and told him to come
to the Bridge as soon as he found them. "I think they are the pair down
by the berry patch," he said. "If not, ask Bakin' Bertha, she knows all
the women."

Oliver started down the path and No. 421 left for the Bridge. He no
sooner got settled when a big white ferret with iridescent eyes started
over the Bridge.

"Hello the Bridge," No. 421 said. "Might you be Chinook'?

"Hello, hello," the ferret said, "My name is Chinook, and I think I'm
lost. I was home with my Mom and I went to sleep. I woke up here and a
big man asked me to sign my name. He said he needed my paw print so he
could find my Mom. Where is my Mom, Mom Debi is the only Mom I
remember. Where am I now?"

"Son, you are at the Rainbow Bridge," No. 421 said as gently as he
could. "The big man you saw was the Receiving Angel. He keeps a record
of all the ferrets that cross so he can put you with your ferret
family. Some day, Mom Debi will come and collect all of you and you
will be together again."

Just then, Oliver came up the path with two other ferrets. They had
built a beautiful mound by the berry patch and were very excited to
hear Oliver had one of their sons at the Bridge.

Chinook stopped talking and put his nose in the air. A strange smell
was riding in on the breeze. It has been so very long since he had
smelled that particular smell, he had almost forgotten. Chinook brushed
by No.
421. He ran as fast as he could to where Oliver was standing to the two
ferrets behind him.

"Momma, Momma," he cried. "Is that really you?" he said. "I had almost
forgotten about you." Momma Woolie Bear put her big arms around her son
and hugged him tight. Chinook buried his nose in her shoulder and just
inhaled. "Momma, it really is you," he said. Dad Dante' joined in and
the three just stood there holding each other.

"You look well," Woolie Bear said. "Momma Debi took good care of you.
Tell you what  -  lets send her a message and tell her you are here,"
she said.

Shooting Star stepped forward. "I did not want to intrude," she said.
"But, I'll take your message back to earth."

Woolie Bear stopped and thought. "Tell Momma Debi we are all together
again. Thank you Debi for taking good care of my baby for me, you did a
fine job. We will all be waiting for you in our mound down by the berry
patch. Be sure to stop and ask the Receiving Anger the way to our
mound."

With that said, they all sent hugs and kisses to Debi. Shooting Star
called Gentle Breeze and the two rode away.

Oliver and No. 421 just stood watching the happy trio walk down the
path dooking all the way. The two friends started back to their cabin.
Oliver stoked up the fire while No. 421 put the kettle on and took down
his logbook. Oliver began to do dishes.

No. 421 wrote mission accomplished, Chinook is back with his ferret
Mom, and she was happy to have him.

The kettle began to sing loudly as the water boiled. Oliver brought the
cups and the tea bags, and the two sat down by the fire to get warm.
Oliver finished his tea and pulled the blanket over him. He would just
stay here for the night.