From:
Stephen and Sharon Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:20:51 EST
[Re post by Charles Onken]
Would you consider compiling these and offering them for sale (via email)
for donations to ferret rescues?  Just a thought from a fellow "ferreter"
(my wife and I have four ferrets currently).  feel free to post your
response to the mailing list

[Moderator's note: Compiling them is not a problem -- in fact, they are
all in the FML archives -- and many are cleaned up even further in there.
The problem is the the posters own their copyrights.  I have spoken to
a lawyer about this as well as read a bit about it myself and it's just
not particulalry simple.  Since it's impossible to ever contact the
majority of the posters for permission to publish their works, then each
post pretty much has to be reviewed on a post-by-post basis to decide if
widely distributing the post might cause a problem -- e.g. if a post had
commercial value or was previously copyrighted by someone else there
could be a problem.

I don't mean to say it's impossible but, personally, I wouldn't want to
think about doing it without getting more legal opinions.  BIG]