From:
Sonya Grable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:39:56 -0000
Stephanie,

I haven't seen (followed) all of your posts, but, is he getting sub q
fluids to combat dehydration since he has diarrhea and is vomiting?
Dehydration is very serious and can happen very quickly in ferrets.

I give straight Metronidazole mixed with "Simple Syrup" from a pharmacy.
My girl HATES!  Metronidazole, no matter what flavor it's been compounded
with, but, will take it when I mix it w/ a bit of the syrup.  It's super
sweet and nothing more (something to consider with suspected or known
Insulinoma).  No flavor.  Have you tried hiding it in food?  Sometimes that
helps, especially if the med also irritates his tummy.  You'll have to work
around the Carafate if you try food (thinned meat baby food, Ensure or
similar (not chocolate), etc.) with the Metronidazole.  It works best if
you draw/mix both in a syringe.  That way you know he's gotten all of it
(instead of some possibly remaining in the dish).

There is an alternative to Metronidazole called Biaxin (Clarithromycin).
The suspension is granular in texture and smells/tastes fruity.  It only
has to be given once per day for two weeks.  It expires after 14 days (used
to be 10) and should NOT be refrigerated.  As with Metronidazole, Biaxin
also has to be included with Amoxicillin.  My experience has been that food
(thinned meat baby food) should be given with this med.  My girl vomits
if I don't.  I either feed her a little before, then mix more into a 5cc
syringe with the Biaxin already in it or I draw it up and fill the rest of
a 10cc syringe with food.  You can find more information about Biaxin,
including dosage guidelines at the following sites:

http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/helicobacter.htm
http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/med/ulcers.html

Dr. Williams has written that he prefers to treat the ulcers first and work
on the bacteria later.  You have to be diligent with Carafate (Sucralfate).
I've given it three times a day before (instead of two).  I'm not saying
this is what YOU should do, though, at least not before checking with your
vet.  Carafate really can't hurt... what's not used passes out the other
end.

I've also given Pepto Bismol an hour or two after Carafate.  If he hates
it then don't try to force it... the stress can make matters worse where
ulcers are concerned.  You can try mixing some with heavy whipping cream,
not whipped cream.  You can also add a small amount of water to thin if
it's too thick.  Troy Lynn Eckart told me about this a few years ago and it
made all the difference!  Now my girl will take Pepto w/ out cream!  The
bismuth in Pepto Bismol may help (although some feel it no longer really
does) even if you decide to only treat the ulcers at this time (Pepto
is/was included with Metro and Amoxi to treat Helicobacter.  It was thought
to intensify the effects of Amoxi).

One last thing.  I'm not certain as to why he is also taking
Chloramphenicol.  Has his doctor diagnosed PBD or Colitis?  It has been
written, at least by Dr. Williams, that Chloramphenicol has no effect on
Helicobacter.

I hope you discover what works for him. Bless his heart (yours, too).

Good luck.
Sonya