From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 04:27:17 -0400
Vickie writes:
>I had added [a high protein food] to my ferret diet last year and I
>threw two of my guys, who I didn't know had kidney issues, into kidney
>failure because of it.  Let this be a warning to anyone switching foods,
>check to make sure your ferrets don't have any underlying kidney issues
>before you introduce one of the new high protein foods.

That is also true for a propensity to form cystine stones.  One trick
that may help wean out some of those ferrets is to make sure the urine
doesn't become too acidic.

Recently, I looked up a lot about the care of ferrets with kidney
problems so hopefully it will help some folks.  I know that some people
whose ferrets have kidney problems are substituting fish oil (not cod
liver oil) for their usual oil treats in ferrets who have kidney
problems.

Here is the info and some of the links are great (Two are brand new
and may go away soon so be sure to see them while you can.)
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=14849

One diet does NOT fit all.

-- Sukie (not a vet)