From:
Ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:01:42 +0100
>From:    Emily Topp <[log in to unmask]>
>
>OK, who here has experience with ferrets who "poof"?  We are considering
>adopting ferrets here in Germany and are used to those who have had their
>scent glands removed (as all my ferrets in the U.S. had).  I just found
>out that this procedure is banned in Germany; they consider it cruel.
>Positives and negatives, please?  Any input would be appreciated.  It is
>also considered unethical to remove scent glands in the UK.

I have, 43 ferrets - I mean 44 just taken in another rescue today.  Very
occasionally a ferret might spray but it isn't much of a problem, the
smell might last 10 minutes.  The only time ferrets tend to spray is if
they are being bullied by another ferret or are startled by something,
they could also spray if they have been hurt.

Castration is all that is required to prevent the rather strong smell of
a entire hob in season.  The anal glands do not play a part in producing
this aroma - they are used for marking territory and defence.

--
Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare