From:
Sheri yadayadayada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 01:44:58 -0800
I don't think that anyone has a right to make a determination for someone
else about when it's time to put an animal to sleep.  It's a very
personal decision, but I personally feel that it's time when an animal
is suffering and basically has little or no quality of life left.  Since
an animal cannot speak up and tell us when they're ready to go and they
don't have the ability to ease their suffering it can actually be a very
loving and kind act to just let them go peacefully to sleep.  Of course
this is my opinion, not something I would ever try to force on someone
else.

One thing that I did notice was that someone mentioned on the FML that
they felt it was cruel to put an animal to sleep and that the shot would
hurt the ferret, that the ferret would be confused and maybe disoriented
before it died.  But actually this isn't entirely accurate.  If anything
the animals are often already confused, lathargic and in a fog because of
whatever illness they have and whatever medicine they are taking to treat
their pain.

I have had to make the painful decision in the past to have beloved pets
put to sleep and believe me it wasn't an easy choice to make, but in
those cases the animals were suffering and were on their way out already.

For anyone who's actually witnessed this or worked in a clinic where
this is done they will all tell you that it's actually very humane and
actually quite fast.  Euthenasia is actually much easier on a suffering
animal than lingering for possibly weeks or months in pain where they
are basically living in a fog anyway.

Of course, as I stated earlier I would never tell someone what they
should do.  I am simply stating my own personal opinion and showing
the other side of the issue.

While some people will accuse others of being cold hearted and
opinionated for choosing to put an animal to sleep, some of those same
people are equally vocal and opinionated about NOT choosing euthenasia,
even when it's a kindness to do so in some situations.

I have seen people put animals through all kinds of painful treatments,
such as chemo therapy, surgery after surgery and spend thousands of
dollars - not for the animal's benefit, but simply because THEY wanted
to keep the animals around for a little bit longer, because it made the
PEOPLE feel better.  It's often more of a comfort to the humans than
anything else.  There is love and then there is selfish love.

Sometimes people are told by vets that an animal is dying of a terminal
illness such as cancer or a brain tumor and they know that the animal is
suffering and only has a matter of months to live at best.  Yet they will
STILL put the poor animal through surgeries and all sorts of very painful
treatments which end up hurting the animal MORE in the end.  I sometimes
have to wonder if they are really looking out for the animal's best
interests or their own.

I realize it's hard to say goodbye, but everyone dies at some point in
this world.  It's really a matter of when, not if.  Animals cannot speak
for themselves or tell us "I'm ready to go now." Prolonging the suffering
of an animal who has respiratory failure, kidney failure or terminal
cancer, etc... is more selfish (in my opinion) than letting them get a
shot and drift off to sleep.  The minor sting of that shot is nothing
compared to choking to death on one's own vomit or suffocating to death
from lack of oxygen or even worse.

Doctors also try to ease the suffering of humans when they are dying by
giving them morphine and other things in high doses so they don't have to
suffer needlessly.  Some might consider that a form of euthenasia since
the morphine, when given in high doses, supresses breathing and they
eventually drift off.  Again, I'm not telling anyone else what to do, but
I'm amazed that people are calling this person opinionated and cold for
stating his or her own personal feelings, especially given the fact that
so many people on the FML are every bit as opinionated or more so when
it comes to how THEY feel things should be done regarding every aspect
of ferret care.

Just because someone expresses an opinion you shouldn't feel threatened
by it.  If we can stomach some of the things people say on the FML then
maybe everyone else should be a little more tolerant as well.  I
personally feel that it's disrespectful for someone to pretend to be
welcoming every ferret who passes away in to heaven as if she is the
personal gate keeper to heaven.  I find it arrogant and disrespectful of
God, but that doesnt mean those of you who find it comforting should be
affected by my opinion or think I'm cold simply because our views differ.

There are all types of people on the FML with a vast variety of opinions
and differences...and even if you don't agree with someone's views at
least try to respect their right to state them just as so many of you
enjoy whatever brings you comfort and you freely discuss it on here.
It's no different when someone else does it.  It doesn't make them cold
hearted or unworthy to care for a ferret.  They love the animals in
their families as much as you love your's.  They just see some things
differently and that is ok.