From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:19:13 -0600
Ferrets are not made like hamsters.  Ferrets have looong bodies and
running in a ball isn't the kind of exercise they need.  Ferrets have
problem solving skills and running in a ball doesn't give them the
opportunity to use this ability.  Ferrets also are very social creatures
and confining them in a running ball when they are out of their cage will
not allow them to freely interact/play/cuddle with you.  Ferrets are very
temperature sensitive.  The balls do not allow adequate air circulation
to keep ferrets from becoming over heated.  As the ferrets grow the ball
will soon be too small and being confined to a ball will be quite
frustrating for the little ones.

If ferrets are not given the opportunity to grow, physically and mentally,
they may become handicapped.

When I first got ferrets I too had dogs.  Shylow was 8 yrs old at the time
and didn't like cats.  It took quite a bit of training for him to accept
the ferrets as housemates, but with careful supervision he did.  It was
heartwarming to see this 85 lb shepherd clean baby ferrets and fret over
the whining kits.

hugs. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services