From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:48:56 -0500
Hey folks!

My name is Mary McCarty (not to be confused with Mary McCarthy - who
pronounces it McCarty - who also does shelter work, but in NY, I
believe <g>).  I am the shelter director for the Pennsylvania Ferret
Rescue Association of Centre County.  We reside in State College, PA
(Penn State) and anyone looking to join a club - please contact me.

I was first introduced to ferrets when my college roommate was given one
the summer of 1992 - boy, did we do EVERYTHING wrong (big surprise,
right?).  But I was hooked and knew that one day I'd have one of my own
(you see how naive I was when I thought I would only have one <g>)

It wasn't until April of 1994 that I did get one of my own - my boyfriend
(now husband) bought Fatso for me, a beautiful PV champagne boy who was
weight challenged.  But ferret math quickly found us so that 6 weeks later,
Skinny, a little chocolate roan MF boy joined the family.

Surprisingly, we stayed at only two ferrets for about three years....then
someone at work mentioned they had a friend who needed to find a new home
for his two ferrets (yes, all ferret people end up rescuing at least once
in their life!), so Bear and Maggie came to stay.  Not long after that, I
found another little one in a petstore and brought home Sweet Pea (boy,
talk about not living up to that name....she's also known as 666, demon
child, brat girl - you name it, she's evil and I love her to death <g>).

But I was firm about stopping there.  Then I found out we had a local
shelter which was just across town from me.  Sigh.

I just have to say one thing - Kym Barone is evil personified.  I don't
know how it happened, but one day she asked me to pick up a ferret and next
thing you know, I'm running a shelter!  How the hell did that happen?  I'm
still asking myself this almost 3 years later <g>

Actually, Kym was moving to Gilbertsville and had someone lined up to take
over the State College branch of the shelter.  That person flaked out and
she was in a bind, so "just hold on to these ferrets until I can come get
them".  Well, we had already found homes for those two, we were moving into
our house (which had a nice big ferret room!), so it just kind of fell into
place.

Now I have 9 little babies (Fatso passed on unexpectedly this past
September), 2 small horses...I mean, dogs, and 26 rescue ferrets (and a
very understanding, ferret-loving husband!)

I believe I found the FML through some random web surfing in 1996.....you
guys have been awesome!

SHAMELESS PLUG: It seems that just about every shelter director I know is
overcrowded for their facility - please make your next addition a shelter
ferret.  We have many - as young as 16 weeks to as old as 7+ - and they all
would love to have a home to call their own.  Remember your local shelter
this holiday season - the directors, but most importantly the ferrets, will
greatly appreciate it!

Mary

Mary McCarty-Houser, Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association of Centre County
http://www.ferretrescue.com