From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 14:46:52 -0700
I am posting this anonymously NOT because I did something horrible and
don't want the flames, but because I did something GOOD.  I want you to
believe you would have done the exact same thing.

Last fall I had the ferrets outside and a neighbor's visitor (both in
their 20s) came over to see them.

*I used to have a ferret,* he said.

*What happened to her?*  I asked.

*Well, I was in bed and she - actually I'm a little embarrassed to tell -
I feel really ba-a-a...* he started.

*You killed her, didn't you?*  I remarked.

*Yeah, I did.  I didn't meant to.  I was asleep and she came up to me and
bit me on the finger and I slung her against the wall and she died.*

Seeing red I said, *And all she probably wanted was to get your attention
so she could play with you.  Your hand was hanging there and she grabbed
you to play with her.  And you killed her.  (No, I am not proud of the
fact that it made me feel so good to see his response.)  If you are going
to have small pets and/or children around, you need to make sure that you
will either be aware enough of them NOT to react or put them somewhere
they will not be hurt.  If you couldn't be aware of her, she should have
been in a cage.*

Last week I had the opportunity to see if I was any better.  My tiny
little girl has lymphoma.  She had not been eating so I left her out
to free roam instead of closing her in the ferret room.  She has been
sleeping on my chest at night.

Sometime in the middle of the night I feel her nose on my cheek and
think, *Hmmm, Baby Girl must be hungry.* Then, chomp!  MY EYE!  Owww!
What is going on?  Sure enough, as I rapidly move from deep slumber to
alertness, I realize that I must do several things at once:

1. NOT pull that appendage from my eye - it's attached!

2. NOT turn loose of that thing and let it dangle; I MUST support it.

3. Turn over and support myself enough to sit up and use both hands to
remove the dangly ferret while still doing both 1 and 2!

Well, I did it.  I kissed her, fed her and put her in the ferret room.
And, no, I did NOT strike her, hurl her or yell at her.  When a ferret is
loose, I try to be extra aware of their presence.  THIS time, I passed
the test.

My point in writing is this: If you are going to have small animals
and/or children around, it is your responsibility to take whatever
precautions are necessary to keep them safe.  Had this ended differently,
I would have told you who I am.  Since it ended happily, imagine it is
what you would have done.

[Remember that song, *I've got a ferret sticking up my nose?*  Well, I'm
here to tell you that *I've got a ferret hanging from my eye* doesn't
feel so good either!

[NY]