From:
Fred A Hurd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:24:53 EDT
>have a lovely picture of her making a lunge for Bob Church, and she
>has bitten Risa DiVencenzo in the *throat*.  Puma is most definitely
>a life-long biter.  She prefers faces, but feet are good, too.
>
>Alexandra

Well I too have had to bite back the biters.  Puma is a very apt choice
of a name for a bad biter but the Puma is the same as the Cougar,
Mountain lion ect as they are all the very same animal.

What did Bob Church do when Puma tried to eat his face?  Folks I have
met bob Church and had a very great discussion with him and MC The "Rude
One".  LOL.  Anyway I too have bitten back bad bitters.  I have even said
so on this very same forum.  There comes a time when you must fight fire
with fire.  To save your own hide and keep your eyes, ears ect ect ect in
their proper place.  Now I do not break the skin on them I do not even
hurt them much but to let them know how it feels to be bitten back.

Now some of you are just too liberal trained to realize that ferrets can
and will learn from you when you tell them not to do something.  Folks...
Ferrets Are Not Dumb!!!  Get that?  Got it?  Good.  We are dealing with
animals that think about the same as a four year old human child and some
of them a bit beyond that age as well.  Yes try other methods first like
the bitter apple, the saying No and even the finger along side the nose
thing BUT if you have to bite them back.  On the scruff is where I prefer
to do it but I do know folks who bite them on the feet as well.  No they
don't harm the ferret.  That isn't what this is all about folks.  It is a
teaching tool for some of the harder headed groups.

I don't care what some of you think of me as I will still keep running my
Rescue and helping the ferret because this is what I do this is what I
live for BUT every once in a while a bitter comes along and you just
can't reach it any other way then defend yourself, bit it back.

Carry on Alexandra, and well done to you.  I too want to know why it is
that certain folks in the Ferret community seem to think that they are
the only ones that know what to do as if there is only one proper way to
do something.  Do any of you run a shelter or a rescue?  Are you up at
3:00 in the Am trying to save an ill fret someone dropped off because
they didn't have the money to take it to a vet and decided at the last
minute to give you a try?  Have you ever ran up a tab at your local vet
wondering who in the hell you would pay it off to help someone's abandon
pet ferret?  Have you ever driven thru the night to take a ferret to one
of those 24 hour Pet Emergency Hospitals and then pay thru the nose for
care?  I have and I bet some of you have as well.  So if you don't do it
don't criticize them that do.

Nuff Said.  best to all Shelters/Rescues.

Fred Hurd
Reno Ferret Rescue

After All It is For The Ferrets!!!