From:
Anthony C Orlando <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:59:09 -0800
>From:    xx torAMOSlo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Wolverine, Too...
>
>My, my I though every one knew that the Wolverine was part of the
>Mustalid Family, this family also inclued european common weasel,
>least weasel, stote, long-tailed weasel, tropical weasel, colombian
>weasel, european polcat, steppe polecat, black-footed ferret, mountain
>weasel, siberian weasel, yellow-bellied weasel, back-striped weasel
>plus lots more and even the pana is related to the ferret.

Actually, pandas are NOT mustelids.  Most pandas belong to Family
Ursidae (bears).  But the Red Panda has been classified with either
bears or racoons, though it shares some traits with stink badgers
(Family Mephitidae w/ skunks).

From
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Mustelidae.html

"The position of other taxa within Mustelidae have also been subject of
recent debate (e.g., Gulo).  Furthermore, the systematics of red pandas
(Ailurus fulgens) has been controversial, with this species being placed
alternately within Ursidae or Procyonidae.  Recent comprehensive
molecular studies of Carnivora, however, indicate a relatively close
relationships between Ailurus and stink badgers (Mydaus)
(Flynn et al., 2005).  (Dragoo and Honeycutt, 1997; Flynn et al., 2005;
Sato et al., 2003; Wilson and Reeder, 1993)"

Currently Family Mustelidae include:

Subfamily Lutrinae (otters)
Subfamily Mellivorinae (honey badgers)
Subfamily Taxidiinae (American badgers)
Subfamily Melinae (hog badgers, Eurasian badgers, ferret-badgers)

Subfamily Mustelinae (polecats & ferrets, weasels, ermines/stoats, minks,
martens/sables/fishers, grisons, tayra, wolverines)

"Intelligence is like 4-wheel drive.  It allows you to get stuck in more
'remote' places."
~ Garrison Keillor ~