From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 15:05:46 -0400
About 3 weeks ago, Caruso started his spring shedding.  His long luxurious
fur was everywhere: on the sofa, on our clothes, in the ferrets' bedding, in
our bedding, floating through the air, in our food, in his poop--IN HIS
POOP!?  Yikes!  I gave him some Vaseline on my finger, and in his usual "eat
first, ask questions later" mode, he took a few licks before he decided it
wasn't very interesting.  So I mixed it with a little FerretVite, and he
lapped it right up.  We gave his some of this mixture every day for a few
days to prevent blockages.

Well, he's almost done with his coat change, and now sports a shorter, less
dense and darker colored champagne coat.  But about a week ago Joy noticed
he was developing a blaze.  "Just like Ralph!" said Joy, fresh from reading
the latest issue of Modern Ferret.  (Ralph is a favorite photo model.) And
sure enough, he seemed to be developing a light streak from between his ears
down the back of his head.  Then a couple days later, we realized the blaze
was really a strip of not-yet-shed longer lighter-colored winter fur.
Caruso has a mohawk hair cut!  Over the last few days, his blaze has been
shrinking, and is now just a spot.  I did manage to take some photos of our
temporary blaze--hope they come out; Caruso is fascinated by the sound of
the focusing motor and moves so fast it's hard to get a good closeup!

Belle's also had her coat change, but her's are barely noticeable, since she
tends to have a sparse coat to begin with.  However, she wants me to remind
everyone of last winter, when she blew out her coat on the sides first, and
was left with a mohawk down her entire back.  She's a skinny little thing to
begin with; then she looked ridiculously narrow!

Linda, Richard, Joy, Belle ("I did NOT look ridiculous, just svelte!"), and
Caruso ("Umm, this is yummy! Oops, gotta go poop!")