Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:43:58 EDT
I have been behind in reading my FML for the past week or so.  I try to
send out my loving thoughts and sympathy to those who have lost one to
the Rainbow Bridge.  If I have missed sending those thoughts to anyone,
please accept them now from me.  I know the pain and sorrow of losing one
of these most loving creatures, that own, me much too soon.  I have lost
three, two in the last six months, so I do truly understand.

Yesterday I thought I was going to get news on one of my last remaining
three that her time with me was going to be limited.  Which it really
already is, unfortunately.  All my remaining furkids are 6, almost 7
years old.  I observed yesterday morning that my Pepper was listing a bit
to the right when she walked and that her hind in seemed a little weak.
My thought immediately was, "Oh, No!  Not another one with the dreaded
insulinoma!" I had to work yesterday (and since I am a substitute teacher
it isn't like I can call someone in to cover for me!) and hated every
minute I was at work.  I know how important it is to get them in to the
vet ASAP.  But luckily I also knew I got off pretty early from school.
I gave Pepper a good-sized treat of Ferretvite before I left, hoping that
would hold her until I got home.  Upon getting home I saw she was still
listing a bit, so with heavy heart and urgency, I called my vet.  They
got me in right away with her.  I can't say enough for the vets I have.
They are super fantastic people, the whole staff!  I know this is getting
away from Pepper for a second, but have to tell you about this staff of
caring people.  They did everything for the two I lost earlier this year,
bent over backwards and tried everything in their power to save Rascal
and Nosey.  They held my hand when we helped Rascal and Nosey cross the
Bridge, put their arms around me while I cried.  And then I received in
the mail a sympathy card signed by the whole staff, with their
expressions of love and concern for me and the two I lost.  I think that
says so much about the kind of people they all are.

Now, back to Pepper.  Dr. Barr and I looked at each other after he saw
Pepper, and I know both of us were thinking in terms of insulinoma.  They
did a blood glucose on Pepper, and in a few minutes, Dr. Barr rejoined
me with an ear to ear grin on his face.  Peppers glucose was perfectly
fine!  (164) Now to find out what was causing her list.  We had already
considered that it might be an ear infection.  With three of us holding
her (she weighs in at a whopping 1 pound 2 ounces hehehehehe) Dr. Barr
was finally able to get a really good look into her ears!  YES!!!  It was
an ear infection!  Everyone who has lived with a furkid with insulinoma
will understand my overwhelming joy of knowing that is was only an ear
infection!  The whole staff shared in my joy and my laughter of relief!
Anyone coming in would have thought we had all taken leave of our senses,
so great was the relief.  I am now putting ear drops into Pepper's ears
twice a day, not without a struggle, but it is so worth it!  My greatest
relief of the day, however, had to be just finding Pepper still with me
when I got home from school.

I am sorry about the length of this, but just had to share.  I truly
enjoy the sharing everyone does on this list, and I really don't know
how I would make it through being owned by ferrets if I didn't have
this list and the great people on it.  Peace and joy to all!

For the love of ferrets,
Barbara Laugesen