From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 1995 11:25:03 -0400
Hello folks:

Thought this might be of interest to those looking into collapsible cat cages:

From R.C. Steele (1-800-872-3773), a MIDWEST brand "Cat Playpen" that
sounds like what Melissa has: two carpeted perches (you'll have to supplement
with your own floors and ramps, like she did), CASTERS, doors at the top and
bottom. Looks to be a solid (not mesh) floor.  Mesh is 1" X 6"--possibly
a problem for kits and petite females. Collapses. 40lbs. Dimensions are
24.5W X 36.25 D X 48.5H. (#Z30-0968, $134.87. Taxed in NY)

From Omaha Vaccine Company (1-800-367-4444...BTW, call and request their
"Master Catalog"--lots of neat stuff cheap): their "Cat Cage" looks
identical to the model offered by RC Steele, except the dimensions: 21.75W
X 34.5D X 44H (could be an inside measurement, while Steele's could be an
outside.  Who knows how they measure anyway?).  Doesn't say whether
collapses, but I'll be danged if it isn't the same cage (ask 'em about
collapsability if you call).  41 lbs.  (#51021.  $126.00.  Taxed in
Nebraska)
  They also have a smaller (36W X 24D X 24H) version, also on casters, which
is collapsible. One perch, one door. 26lbs. (#51021A. $99.00. Taxed in Nebr)
  OVC also has crimpers and clips, if you want to build your own.

At the Connecticut Frolic this spring, several people used puppy crates,
with varying degrees of customization to narrow the spaces in the mesh or
between the doors, trays, and the sides of the cages.  In the OVC catalog,
such a crate with 1" sq.  mesh with dimensions similar to the small cat cage
was about $97 ...  and it doesn't even have casters.  Surely there are
better deals than this.
It pays to shop around.  You might even consider contacting your local club
or shelter for used/reconditioned cages.  At the Frolic, FACT was selling
large-ish regular cages for around $40.

PEOPLE HOUSING: I, uh, know of a house in, uh, near the capital of a
northeastern state.  The house is ferret friendly (but not completely
proof-able), has two rooms available.  One room is available now, the other
9/1.  Rent AND utilities $400 or LESS per month per room.  Grad students
preferred (any vet students moving up this way?), but any mature and
responsible person will be welcome.  E-mail me in confidence, discretion
assured.

ALLERGIES: Jessica--sorry about your situation.  I, too, have a cat allergy,
but I thank my stars it isn't asthma.  I know of two high-profile people
with ferret- related asthma problems: Deborah Jeans (author of A Practical
Guide to Ferret Care) and Mary Shefferman (editor of Modern Ferret).  See
Modern Ferret Issue #2 for how these women cope ([log in to unmask] will
answer inquiries regarding purchase of back issues).
   I'm not an allergist, but I index medical books, including those on allergy.
I'd like to pass on a little of what I've learned:
   1) One MAY be born with susceptibility to allergies, but one ACQUIRES
allergies to specific substances.  You must be exposed to an allergen,
sometimes several times, before your body learns to form an allergic
response to it.
   2) Some substances, ESPECIALLY TOBACCO SMOKE and organic chemicals, will
make one more sensitive to an allergen.  You might develop an allergy to
something you might not have, if the smoke were not present.  You might
develop more severe allergies than you would have otherwise.  You might even
develop SUSCEPTIBILITY to allergies if you didn't have it before.
   3) Sometimes, you can reduce your reaction somewhat (or at least keep it
from getting stronger) if you remove the sensitizing agent (ie. smoke)
rather than the allergen (ie. ferrets).
   4) You can make your environment safer for you (and your pets) by
eliminating sensitizing agents from your home.  This means no smoking in the
house.  If your downstairs neighbor smokes, you should consider moving (they
won't stop).  Get rid of cleaning agents with ingredients you can't
pronounce.  Look carefully at the label of your (and your ferrets')
shampoos.
   5) Dust (or rather, the dust MITES in it) can also be a sensitizing
agent, as well as an allergen itself.  Remove surface clutter (take a tip
from your ferrets and put your toys away) that collects dust.  Vacuum
frequently.  Don't just sweep.  Consider getting a HEPA air filter.  They're
expensive, but could be tax deductible if your allergist prescribes one.

As far as getting rid of your animals, what an awful choice.  As the death
of that young model (and increasing numbers of young people) sadly teaches
us, we must take asthma seriously.  I think that those of us who got into
ferrets because we were allergic to another animal should take special care
to eliminate sensitizing agents from our lives.  You don't have to live in a
bubble (unless the air pollution is very bad where you live).  Just keep the
dust down, the smoke out, your cleaning products simple, and the
clutter...well, heavens.  If I could just follow my own advice.

Peace,
   Lee ([log in to unmask])