From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1980 22:56:48 -0400
Dooks to all,

I think a STASH of ferrets would be highly appropriate for a group name....
not only do they stash away your things, but each other to sleep.. etc.

Bob, BRAVO on being very brave to bring up a very important topic...
diarrhea, forcefeeding issues,etc.  I agree completely, but I can see
some people being completely confused by your response, being the gravy
guru and all!  I too, will not "grab the syringe" at the first sign of
loose stools... if your ferret has diarrhea for more than 24 hrs, and is
not eating, please get it to a vet before trying to self treat.  Most vets
will give subcu fluids, and actually prefer to give the stomach a REST..so
it has time to clear out the virus or bacteria (I think Bob stated it much
more eloquently..how was that?..something about a mucus coating<GG>?) My
vet will go as far as providing total parenteral nutrition, rather than
forcefeeding..causing MORE diarrhea, more fluid loss, and more inflammation
of the GI tract.  If your ferret has had this rest period, and is hydrated,
you can intro soft food by using a finger and smear food on inside cheek.
If the ferret still shows no interest, than using a syringe might just
cause stress, sputtering, and gagging anyway.  Try again in a little while,
and continue to HYDRATE with Subcu fluids at home with the vets approval.
Most vets realize that being hospitalized for fluids can get expensive, and
if you are willing to do this at home, they will teach you and give you
supplies.  Oh, and NEVER, EVER try to syringe water or liquids down a
ferret to hydrate them.  The GI tract is inflamed and not absorbing things
anyway, so you're just risking aspiration and stressing your little one
further.

PS....the preliminary tally for our hospital, regarding vaccine reactions,
is almost complete.  I know it is higher than the previous 5% extrapolated
from informal FML survey but don't have exact numbers yet.  We will also
be getting in numbers from various other hospitals around the country, and
will keep everyone informed.

I have 2 weasels that are getting FAT for the summer...weird!

Michele & gang