From:
"Steve & Suki Crandall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 1991 22:43:50 -0400
Chris and Pat, Please, accept our condolences on your  loss.   We
know how hard it can be.

Chris, Robert Hilsenroth who is a  vet  with  the  Morris  Animal
Foundation  made  an interesting suggestion which may be good for
ferrets, the ferret net, and vets.  He  suggests  contacting  the
American  Veterinary  Association  (Chicago) at 1-800-248-2862 to
publicize the net with veterinarians.   Perhaps  some  will  find
ways  to access it and more information can be shared.  Would you
like to do this?  If not, would you want us to call, and  if  so,
what do you want said?

[It must just be my poor imagination, but I'm not sure what
I'd want to say to the AVA considering that direct contact
with them is a little awkward (you get hooked on e-mail).
One possibility (my imagination is starting to work, finally),
is that many of the AVA's members would be at veterinary
universities/colleges that haven't gotten heavily into
electronic communications.  I could see advantages several ways:
        - Contact amongst vets working with ferrets (and some of
          the more expert ferret owners)
        - Broadcast of general interest items to the readership
        - Q&A on medical issues.
I think it best that you call and see what happens.  If you
want to forward items to them, go ahead.  Did you keep an archive
of the issues back to day one?  I'd like to do more, but I'm really
busy at the moment.  Keep me informed, and don't hesitate to
bring me into the discussion if it seems appropriate.]

So far we have heard back from 2 places about  Aleutian  Disease.
Basically,  what  we  have heard is this:  that it is a very rare
problem in domestic ferrets and though it is not as  serious  for
ferrets  as  for  mink  it is a chronic wasting disease.  We have
also been told that there is  very  little  chance  that  it  has
anything  to  do  with  Frit's  cancer or Hjamlar's large spleen,
partially because his spleen has stayed at this size for about  3
years  so  may  just  be  normal  for him.  It seems that a large
spleen is a very general symptom of many possible problems or  of
no  problem  at all.  Now you know how rusty my physio is since I
should has remembered that off the bat.

Frit's progress continues to amaze vets and is being followed  by
several  animal  medical  centers  and vet schools now.  You will
never  BELIEVE  what  one  expert  (who  will   remain   unnamed)
requested:   that  we  bring Frit there and have her destroyed so
that her tissues would be in optimal condition for  study.   Yes,
it  may  well  be an approach which could help other ferrets, but
Frit still enjoys most of life and  we  sure  are  not  about  to
destroy  a  member  of our family who wants to live, cuddle, make
cute, steal toy mousies, etc.  That vet  will  be  informed  that
tissues  will  be  available for study from our vet after Fritter
dies.  We plan on an autopsy and on her tissues  going  to  major
centers for study, but it simply is not at all time for that.

A lot is being learned by many vets from Frit.  In  two  days  it
will  be  Sept  16th,  her  21st week since symptoms began and 19
weeks since the original vets thought she  should  be  put  down.
Unfortunately, her condition is deteriorating.  She now needs her
Elspar chemotherapy weekly (and the spleen stays  down)  but  her
nodes  are  up  again  in  4 days and sugar maintenance get worse
then.  Despite her having such a rough  time  with  the  Pred  in
doses  above .15 cc/day we have had to increase it to .25 cc most
days and a hair under .5 cc on the days when  the  nodes  go  up.
She  now  gets  aspirin  to  help  with  the  muscle soreness (in
combination with her warm bath PT), and we are hoping  that  this
time  she will not lose muscle so rapidly.  Her food has changed,
too.  She was having extreme intestinal pain from cream (possible
colitis)  so all of that except the Ben and Jerry's that she gets
when she is having her twice daily subcutaneous 20 cc of dextrose
solution  has  been  removed from her diet and we are trying many
new treats to see if we can find one which will work during those
times.   (All   suggestions   of   other  net  ferrets'  favorite
foods/treats will be appreciated).  Her standard  cat  food  plus
rice  plus  Nutrical  plus water plus lots of egg yolks now has a
large portion of butter added because fats slow digestion and the
looseness  of her bowels is beyond what the rice can handle.n ccc
7juuvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv  (That  is  Frit's  addition  to   this
letter; now she is rearranging a second hiding place of Melty's.)
We are also getting very used to  making  up  small  portions  of
antibiotics  as  a just-in-case measure when her temperature goes
up (to 104.6) or down (to 100.5) after the chemo (usually the 2nd
day)  since  it  can  be hard to know what is a new infection and
what is a  response  to  the  chemo  some  times.  Sound  like  a
miserable  life but she is really making the most of it and loves
being so spoiled.

The others are all gaining weight because they get any Frit  mush
left-overs.  They are round, furry, happy, and full of pranks and
kisses.  (Chip, Ruffle is jealous of mythic weasel-- she wants to
weigh  26  pounds  and  go  ga-flump, ga-flump, smash, hee, heee,
heee.)

I followed the recent nutrition comments  with  interest.   After
looking  at  the  components  of  ferret  diet in the wild (which
certainly may NOT be optimal for longevity) and those of  various
foods available it looks like no one has yet developed and widely
tested a diet for providing long life, i.e. I came  to  the  same
conclusion  as  Fara.   Could  the  European correspondents print
information about nutrient proportion in foods over  there?   One
big  difference we have read about is that the high percentage of
insulinoma in N. American ferrets may be related to the  lack  of
chromium  in their diet (which is why ours' now get a tiny bit of
Brewer's Yeast.

Frit has pulled Fox's book out the bookcase and is asleep on  top
of  it.  Cute photo if I had film in the camera because she looks
like   she   is   hugging   the    sketch    of    the    ferret.
                                                        Sukie