Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:27:55 -0800
>I was thinking of also changing my male to the delorean, but my vet
>mentioned that it only lasts about 6 mo. in males. Does anyone have
>any experience with using the implant in males?

We have used deslorelin in my shelter for some adrenal ferrets, and
our results have been great.

I've seen it lasting about a year in males as well as females. There
have been some reports of ferrets dying soon after receiving the
implant, but from what I can tell they were mostly elderly, in
fragile health, and in most cases being put on that class of drugs
(Lupron/deslorelin) for the first time. I have 3 young healthy ferrets
that have been on deslorelin implants all of their lives as part of a
study, and I would not hesitate to use the implant on an otherwise
healthy ferret.

Kevin Farlee
WFRS