From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:01:46 -0500
The answer to this is because the vaccine trial was only ran for one year.
Vaccine trials are very expensive and longer trials mean more expense for
the company.

Over vaccinating can cause health problems too.  The new vaccination
protocol for dogs and cats is every other or every 3rd year after the
initial series and first annual booster.  Shouldn't this apply to ferrets
too?  Any comments from the vets on this matter?

Titers can be taken to determine if the animal needs to be vaccinated but
from what I've heard it is quite expensive.  I haven't checked on the cost
myself though.  If anyone does do the titer on their ferrets please let
all of us know the results and cost.

Also, only healthy animals should even be considered for vaccinations.  Our
vet recommends not vaccinating ferrets with cancer or other ailments and
will not vaccinate if they have diarrhea or a cold at that time.

Our ferrets have compromised immune systems from severe ECE and no longer
receive vaccinations.  The youngest of this group is 3 yrs old and all
have had the initial series and at least one annual booster.  Pre-ECE we
vaccinated every other year (my choice and not meant to influence anyone)
to avoid compromising the immune system.

Each of us must research this issue thoroughly before making our own
decision.  Weigh the odds as well.

Hugs to all. tle