From:
Cheri Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:21:32 -0600
Thank you, Judith, for your caring, insightful view on this sensitive
subject.  I've long believed that some people euthanize when they do
because the animal's plight is too hard for them, the humans, to bear,
and not for the sake of the animal.  Or they take the advice of
veterinarians, who in my experience, always want to euthanize when they
don't know what else to do.  I think sharing in the death of a beloved
companion can be precious for both human and nonhuman companion alike.
I will always cherish the deep bonding I had with my cat Thomas and my
ferret Chadley, both of whom drifted off peacefully at my side.  Chadley
would not have had the chance to give me those last sweet nose kisses if
we had opted for euthanasia when he became seriously ill, and I think they
meant as much to him as they did to me.  Of course there are situations
where euthanasia is truly a mercy, and it's hard to try to determine how
much your baby is suffering, but not always.

Cheri Johnson